PDA

View Full Version : Herbs to veggies

Asper
03-09-2009, 01:02 AM
Hello all,

I wanted to have an ayurvedic herb garden so I purchased a bunch of seeds, tulsi, ashwagandha, gotu kola, and a seed starting kit. They all came up but I didn't know how or where to plant them. Fatefully, I saw Patti's videos on the web. I built a prototype raised bed but still didn't know exactly what to do so in completely backwards fashion thats when I bought, The square foot gardener, and things have progressed from there.

I have now built two more raised beds. I live in Arizona and had some trouble finding all of the ingredients for the soil but I should have my first vegetable garden planted by the end of the week.

Patti's videos have completely inspired me. My wife says I am obsessed. I buy every organic gardening book I see. I never knew this was possible in a suburban backyard in the middle of the desert. Somehow, it never crossed my mind to grow my own vegetables and now I cannot wait.

Thank you for this forum. Just as I have never grown vegetables before I have also never posted on a forum so any advice on either would be greatly appreciated!

Sinfonian
03-09-2009, 02:20 AM
Welcome! Hehe, most of what you wrote went over my head. I know veggies, but little of herbs.

I can say however, that you can do very well with simply diverse compost material if other amendments are not readily available or cost prohibative.

I was exactly where you are a year ago, though I looked mostly on the web for info. Stumbling my way along I somehow suceeded in growing a ton of produce foe my family. I know you can to. Ask questions, do as much research as you can, and enjoy your garden!

gardengirl72
03-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Welcome indeed. I am glad you are inspired! Thank you for joining up and I hope you share your trials, success and everything in between.

MoniDew
03-09-2009, 06:29 PM
welcome! Glad to have you here! Patti certainly is inspirational!

Blossome
03-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Welcome, you did great on the post and it seems like your doing great on the garden as well.

plantoneonme
03-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Welcome! Please share your experiences as they come about gardening in the desert...I am sure you will learn a lot and later have lots to offer. Kim

Asper
03-10-2009, 10:34 PM
Well my first trial has arrived, one of my dogs decided to move my carefully assembled soil from inside my raised bed to the ground. Looks like she spent the better part of the day excavating. So my first lesson is, my raised bed needs a raised fence!

gardengirl72
03-10-2009, 11:03 PM
Gardening is fun for the whole family. Don't forget to post some pics so we can cheer you on!