PDA

View Full Version : Missy from Glendale, Az

missy85301
03-09-2009, 02:15 AM
Hello!
I'm a apartment dweller, and started a container garden 7/08. I have had the pleasure to harvest lemon thyme, hungry cherry tomatoes, basil, nasturtium up till now. But I have greatly expanded. I'm utilizing my balconies as much as possible.

This year I have sweet 100 cherry toamtoes, hungry cherry tomatoes, Japanese million eggplant, black beauty eggplant, 2 banana trees, bush green beans, 5 cucumber plants, mums, rosemary, pepermint, different types of lettuce, sunflower, bush watermelon, malabar spinach, brussel sprouts, chives,cilantro, mini baby carrots, and the latest addition is a bananza miniature peach tree. I'm sure I'm forgetting something!

ecogirl
03-09-2009, 03:55 AM
argh!! Too much in my head! welcome!

Sinfonian
03-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Welcome and congrats! That's quite an accomplishment.

If you could post pics when things are up and running, that would be great to show people they can grow a ton in a small space?

Bravo!

gardengirl72
03-09-2009, 01:16 PM
I am so psyched you joined up. I am learning more and more about container veggies, I hope you share some pics and info!

MoniDew
03-09-2009, 06:30 PM
WOW! that's quite impressive! I'd love to see pics, too! Glad you joined us!

Blossome
03-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Wow! that must be a big patio. Welcome.:-)

plantoneonme
03-10-2009, 07:35 PM
I too would love to see pictures. I hear all the time that people don't have the space but you can show them how much they can actually do just having a balcony. Kim

missy85301
03-27-2009, 12:07 AM
I used miricale grow moisture control soil last year. I had problems with fungus gnats. So this year I am doing a mixture of the same type of soil & a good compost soil. So far so good. The soil is not all soppy, and full of gnats. I also added those fly strips. They are doing a wonderful job of capturing all the adult gnats and emurging gnats. This has kept that population in check.

missy85301
03-27-2009, 12:35 AM
Only it's on a much smaller scale. I only planted 1 or 2 of each seed I wanted to grow. I chose seeds for my micro climates and my zone 9. There have been a lot of changes in the seeds, and there are a lot of varieties that are bred specifically for small spaces or containers. I have been using www.johnnyseeds.com for my seeds. I start my seeds in little seeds pods in my make shift green house. (clear plastic containers cakes and salad come in. )
Once they out grow the containers I put them in their homes. I do harden them off. I choose containers that appropriate for the final plant size.
My husband told me if the plant is big up top it's gonna have a big root system too.
Right now I water once every 2-3 days, or as needed.

Fertilizer. I have been using your basic miricale all purpose fertilizer.

I am so psyched you joined up. I am learning more and more about container veggies, I hope you share some pics and info!

gardengirl72
03-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Can you share some of your successes with us?

missy85301
03-28-2009, 02:59 AM
My spearmint loves my north patio. I have to trim it back once every 2 weeks or at least once a month. I have harvested Hungry Cherry tomatoes. I have a eggplant on the stem that is getting bigger and bigger by the day. I have peaches on my miniature peach tree. Cilantro. That has grown like wildfire. Nasturtium! That is doing wonderful. Lemon thyme is doing well. I have harvested it several times. Basil.. yummmmm.... That made good addition to salads!

This spring was my big step out for the small space gardening. Last summer I was just getting started, and I have done so much research as to what to grow in the full sun and in the some what shaded area. What does well in Containers, and what hybrids of normal bred seeds are developed for containers. I.e. Eightball zucchini. Bush green beans. I will keep you all posted on my progress.

I just found out I will be moving to a house this summer. I'm so excited to first off take my container garden with me, but to begin my journey of my developing my front and back yard into a urban homestead! I want that sustainable lifestyle!

missy85301
03-28-2009, 03:04 AM
http://www.phoenixpermaculture.org/photo/album/listForOwner?screenName=0sqbdjvnhtvxi

missy85301
03-30-2009, 11:35 PM
I didn't think the last one took.. but it did.

J-Bird
04-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Welcome Missy!
I've been out of the loop for a few weeks and was happy to return to another Arizonan in the group.
Cheers!
~Justin

missy85301
04-04-2009, 01:52 PM
I'm in Glendale, Az

Welcome Missy!
I've been out of the loop for a few weeks and was happy to return to another Arizonan in the group.
Cheers!
~Justin

gardengirl72
04-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the pics Missy. Suggestion: I think you should mulch your container plants. Thanks for your contributions to the message board!