PDA

View Full Version : It's syrup!!!!

HomesteadBaker
03-09-2009, 11:26 AM
The first syrup of the season....
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g265/HomesteadBaker/HPIM0324.jpg

Boiling down another 5 gallons of sap as I type. Don't think the sap will run today, it is only 30* outside and spitting a rain/snow mix. :(

How is everyone else coming along?

gardengirl72
03-09-2009, 01:11 PM
That looks soooo good. Well done. Check out my video on Vegetable Gardener!

HomesteadBaker
03-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Thanks, Patti..... it tastes sooooooo good! There is no comparison the the "real maple syrup" in the grocery store! This is 100% pure maple syrup, right from the 2 sugar maples in my front yard. It may not be much production-wise (some people tap over 1,000 trees), but now I know I can make my own maple syrup... and without all the fancy gizmos and gadgets! I will hava another pint or so by this evening. I checked my collector jugs and only have 1/2 gallon, which is more than I expected since it is cold today.

Chalk up one more sustainability skill in the "can do" column!

I watched the syrup making video.... 2 thumbs up!! Glad that you showed it isn't as difficult as most people think... it is just time consuming. Does your uncle use a hydrometer? (I just use a thermometer.)

ecogirl
03-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Can I have some? lol

plantoneonme
03-10-2009, 07:48 PM
It is so exciting to get that first taste isn't it? My 2 batches look so different but taste so good. Kim

gardengirl72
03-10-2009, 10:10 PM
The problem with Syrup is the BTU's required to boil it down. I wonder if there is a solar evaporator that can be used to eliminate the gas or petro fuels? Honey is ultimately the best sugar solution for true sustainablility.

But I LOVE MAPLE SYRUP and will stretch my green rules to enjoy it! Kim, you got a picture? I made a whole video....how about a pic for you fans!

Also I featured everyone on this thread in this months ezine! Thank you all for your great work sharing here.

plantoneonme
03-11-2009, 10:29 AM
The problem with Syrup is the BTU's required to boil it down. I wonder if there is a solar evaporator that can be used to eliminate the gas or petro fuels? Honey is ultimately the best sugar solution for true sustainablility.

But I LOVE MAPLE SYRUP and will stretch my green rules to enjoy it! Kim, you got a picture? I made a whole video....how about a pic for you fans!

Also I featured everyone on this thread in this months ezine! Thank you all for your great work sharing here.

Patti I posted a pic under Maple syrup and of course some on my blog. Kim