PDA

View Full Version : CDX Plywood

sudion
03-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Hello,
Does anyone know if Non-pressure treated CDX plywood is safe for a raised bed? Thanks!
sudion

Sinfonian
03-10-2009, 03:10 PM
How thick? Sure it's safe, but is it sturdy enough? I've never seen folks build raised beds out of plywood. That would possibly decrease the cost unless you went with 3/4 inch plywood.

Hum a few more bars please.

MoniDew
03-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Plywood, pressboard, or any other layered or particled board is going to get wet, swell, and split out in the elements. (unless you tightly seal them with something - but what? and that "what" would have to be non-toxic.)

gardenjoinery
03-10-2009, 05:54 PM
I would also question the suitability of plywood for the job. We used plain old spruce 2x8, and painted them with Anchor Seal. I don't think they will last forever, but it was a lot cheaper than hemlock! Anchor Seal is pretty much just wax and glue, I think - it is very mild. The company will send you a sample jug if you are interested.

Kittikity
03-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Any other really good sealers that are safe? I'd love to use wood for my beds but my yard can get really soppy in the summer time.. Most economical woods would rot almost in the first year here..

plantoneonme
03-10-2009, 08:09 PM
It wouldn't be very economical but there is that faux wood used for decks. Maybe you could use just one board that contacts the ground and then less expensive above. Or do the same with block and put wood on top to keep the wood off the ground...just a couple ideas. Kim

Kittikity
03-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Yeah, I've been thinking of the composite wood that Lowe's is supposed to have now.. But right now I've got so many other projects going that I haven't had the money to do my beds.. I'll probably have to just do the row planting again and hope that the summer crop does better then my winter one did..

I've never thought of using bricks on the bottom and wood for the top.. How do you think I could attach it though?

plantoneonme
03-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Yeah, I've been thinking of the composite wood that Lowe's is supposed to have now.. But right now I've got so many other projects going that I haven't had the money to do my beds.. I'll probably have to just do the row planting again and hope that the summer crop does better then my winter one did..

I've never thought of using bricks on the bottom and wood for the top.. How do you think I could attach it though?

I wasn't think about attaching, more like setting a wooden, bottomless box on top. You could drive a couple 2x4 stakes into the ground inside the frame and attach the box if you were worried about it getting moved around. Kim

Warlord
03-10-2009, 09:59 PM
I agree with MoniDew this type of board would rapidly deteriorate outside in the elements. Especialy at ground or below ground level. warren

Kittikity
03-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Hmmm, ideas ideas.. *brain a-churning* Can you smell smoke?

gardengirl72
03-10-2009, 10:04 PM
IMHO-

CDX will be useful for one season, maybe two. The best thing all the way around is Plastic wood Kim is talking about, but I find it cost prohibitive, but after I win the lottery I will replace my entire garden with the Composite stuff.

My garden is made of SPF (Spruce/pine/fir) and those beds were built in 2005, and only show some signs of rot near the screw holes, but probably have at least five more years in them. My beds are well drained which helps alot.

Having said all of that, if all you have is CDX do it anyway, I don't think it will hurt you, you will get your money's worth in food, you will just have to rebuild in a few years.

My mentor Mel swears by Cedar and Redwood, but I am way too frugal for that. My husband would kill me if said I was buying redwood.

Composite is the Greenest, most long lasting and best solution if you have the money, it will pay for itself in three years I bet.

Backyard Permaculture
03-11-2009, 12:09 AM
If you want a cheap, long lasting raised bed, how about corrugated steel? I know, it might not be as asthetically pleasing as wood, but if you have an area that might be out of view for most of your social traffic, it works.

I have several I have made from used sheets of corrugated steel that I got from my parents house when it was sold, plus some a friend gave me. They sat there in a stack for quite a while, until wondering how to continue gardening to keep Javelinas (Pig like animal that lives in the SW US down through south America) out. Using about 4 foot lenths, and a 22" 4 x 4 wood block in the corners you end up with a 4 x 4 ft raised bed. The corner blocks will need to be replaced from time to time, but you could probablyscrounge them up on a construction site.

The corrugated steel could be requested on your local Freecycle board

Ron