PDA

View Full Version : Hi, from Rio Rancho New Mexico

victorygardensw
03-10-2009, 09:01 AM
I am a recent transplant to New Mexico and am in the process of installing a small raised bed garden in my backyard I plan on the SF garden method for them. The weather here can be wild especially the wind! We also have monsoon season usually starting in July. All the soil will be new in the garden, the soil here is almost pure red sand. My main concern is how to protect the garden area from the wind the garden will be where the block walls are on two sides. Any ideas on a wind break? My skill at building is limited. The outside planting here for tomatoes is about the middle of April. I have experience in Community Gardens in California and may also have the opportunity for a small garden plot here in the Rio Grande greenbelt in a new Community Garden. Ann MArie

MoniDew
03-10-2009, 04:15 PM
transplants are always welcome in our garden :D

Welcome to the boards!

I think your post got bummed down - no one else seems to have greeted you. Well, this should get you some well-deserved attention!

Again, welcome.

gardenjoinery
03-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Hi! I don't know if this will work for your wind situation, but here's what we do for our bees (our late bees, sadly) in our back yard, which gets serious wind.

We drive stakes in the ground in a zig-zag and staple two layers of burlap. If you need to, you could tack some strapping on the outside so that the whole thing has ribs. Would that help?

plantoneonme
03-10-2009, 07:42 PM
I think the idea of the burlap would work but could you later plant something as a permanent windbreak...some kind of shrubbery type plant such as blueberries (not sure about in your state) or some other kinda of edible bush especailly native? Just a thought...anyway Welcome. Kim

gardengirl72
03-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Welcome indeed! Well what about a hardy set of orchard trees as a wind break. The North African gardens I am influenced by are big on putting in trees for windbreaks.

I am adding in a fan to my indoor set up to strengthen all my seedlings this year for wind before they go outside in the ground.

All the Best and Welcome!

victorygardensw
03-12-2009, 10:09 AM
My garden is on the small side and have more shade than sun.The burlap fence is a good idea and unfortunately the "orchard" I don't have room for.