PDA

View Full Version : Need help in rural Ohio

seedlady
03-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Hi,
Love this site. I read the forums and view Patti's tapes. I moved from Florida in October of 08. Lost my job as interior horticulturist and had to move to Ohio where my family was. No seeds. No compost. And no jobs. Just lots of ideas. I am slowly getting started again. I have been an organic garderner before it got popular. Never used chemicals, even in interior horticulture. My problem is I can not get anyone in my area modivated or get them interested in gardening. I have been to the Ohio State Extention office, talked to the agriculture department. Nothing. They did not even know where I could get organic seeds locally!! HELP I need ideas to get people interested and tell them they do not have to eat chemicals. I am going to build a medium size solar greenhouse. I went to the head of recycling (my ex brother in law) to try and get recycled materials to build a greenhouse, have not heard from him. And he is the only guy to talk to in the surrounding six counties. I am at a loss. I keep running into deadends. But I still get up and keep walking to a different direction. Any new ideas? I would also be interested in opening a food co-op.

Thanks

Love and Peace
Mary Jane

Sinfonian
03-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Welcome and sorry to hear your having problems left and right. I can imagine it is very difficult in an area likely dominated by big agriculture. I'm not sure that education would be welcome.

For seeds, you are probably close enough to Baker Creek. Then you could save your seed for next year.
In the end, continue to be persistent and resilient and celebrate every success, big or small.

Good luck and welcome again.

MoniDew
03-10-2009, 04:04 PM
My heart goes out to you. I know how difficult it can be to be the only one in an area. You'll have to get your moral support here, and in the larger, international community. But don't be discouraged, just be a pioneer. Be a maverick! Best to you in this challenge.

plantoneonme
03-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Hello Mary Jane, send me a private email at sportsalibi @ yahoo.com (no spaces). I may have a person who can send you a starter pack of seeds. Kim

gardengirl72
03-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Mary Jane,

My job is inspiration. Most people can't resist a few a Garden Girl vids! Send them over here, we'll get them eventually.

As for seeds you can get my seeds from www.olivebarn.com, they are all from Baker Creek as well.

Inspiration is my specialty! Thank you so much for signing up, we'll get your neighbors someday.

msmel5180
03-12-2009, 02:12 AM
Mary Jane,
Where are you located in Ohio. My garden center is in Cincinnati, and I do provide organic products, and will have Patti's Garden Girl products in my store very soon.

I'm learning so much about sustainable living through the Garden Girl website, and decided that this is the direction I want my store to go. As long as you have a computer by your side, you can find any information you need on her site......she has amazing links and resources to get answers to any question about organic and sustainable living. I get lost there sometimes!!!!!!

I wish you luck in finding all the resources you need. If you are in my area, stop by and say "HI".