PDA

View Full Version : Part Sun Garden Areas

NDgardengirl
03-11-2009, 10:09 AM
I need some help finding some suitable fruits and vegetables to grow in my garden area. I have an existing garden spot in my yard with excellent soil. The only problem is that we have a very large elm tree in our yard that shades off a lot of the garden. I have done container gardening or raised beds in other areas of the yard for my fruits and vegetables that require more sun, but I want to utilize the garden area I have. It is not easy to move since it has a retaining wall around it and a vine archway, plus I will not cut down the tree. So does anyone suggest anything that I can grow in my part sun garden space. I already do excellent at growing potatoes in my garden, but would like to incorporate more fruits and vegetables in there that will tolerate these conditions. My garden space is large 20'x30', so I want to make the best out of it. I live in ND, Zone 4, so they must be hardy fruits and vegetables to tolerate our harsh winters.

Thanks,
NDgardengirl

plantoneonme
03-11-2009, 10:25 AM
Lettuce and greens come to mind...they don't require as much sun. Kim

MoniDew
03-11-2009, 12:24 PM
I was thinking lettuce, peas, cabbage, potatoes, beets...

gardenjoinery
03-11-2009, 12:37 PM
I am thinking greens, too. When does the elm leaf out where you are? How much light comes through when it is leafing? I know some of the greens, arugula and spinach I think, benefit from some shade when it starts to heat up.

gardengirl72
03-11-2009, 02:05 PM
I strongly believe in leaf lettuce for all gardens. It was worshiped by ancient eygptians! I agree about arugala as well. My family loves the peppery spike from it.

Growing Boy
03-12-2009, 11:41 AM
We have much the same problem. We have Pecan trees on the west side of our garden areas that once they leaf out limits the afternoon sun. What we do is plant out cool weather, quick growing stuff (lettuce, spinach, mustard greens) to get the most use out of the area before they leaf out. We also religeously cut back the limbs on the garden side to get as much sun as possible.