PDA

View Full Version : Question on tomato blight

Kitty
03-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone can help me with a problem I've had for 4 growing seasons now.
Every year my tomatoes develop blight by mid season.
I have tried everything to prevent this from happening, but nothing worked.
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions, or ideas on how i can prevent all of my tomatoes from becoming infected with blight this upcoming gardening season?
I'm wondering if it would be wise to start treating them even before I notice the blight coming on?
Have a great day,
Kitty:)

Cynthia
03-11-2009, 11:29 AM
To help prevent early blight:

At time of planting, put about 1 cup of course corn meal (from the feed store) on top of the soil, make a circle around each tomato plant -perhaps one foot out from stem)

There is a relatively new product out from Soil Mender called Plant Wash. spray tomato plants with plant wash at time of planting, then two weeks later, and two weeks after that.

This should be sufficient to keep the blight at bay. I had blight last year and the plant wash really seemed to stop its progression and so this year I am doing the preventative method.

The corn meal will grow a fungus that will help prevent the blight and the plant wash strengthens the plants immune system - sounds like it is too good to be true but I had very good results with the plant wash last year and this year, it went on the tomatoes as soon as they were planted.

Good luck,
Cynthia

Kitty
03-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Hello Cynthia,
Thank you so much! I'm going to print out your advise and do exactly what you are recommending at the time of planting! I am so tierd of dealing with blight every year!Thank you also for placing your link on your reply. I will have to go and visit the links!
Wishing you a wonderful evening:)!!!!!!!!
Kitty

Kevin
03-11-2009, 06:36 PM
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone can help me with a problem I've had for 4 growing seasons now.
Every year my tomatoes develop blight by mid season.
I have tried everything to prevent this from happening, but nothing worked.
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions, or ideas on how i can prevent all of my tomatoes from becoming infected with blight this upcoming gardening season?
I'm wondering if it would be wise to start treating them even before I notice the blight coming on?
Have a great day,
Kitty:)

Kitty, you also may want to try different heirloom varieties, some are more disease resistant than others. also try not to plant the same beds every year with toms or other members of the nightshade family. Good luck , Kevin

gardengirl72
03-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Your best bet is blight resistant varieties, and anti fungul treatment of the soil in the spring and summer (start brewing up Chamomile tea). Pick any sick leaves as soon as you see them and get rid of them.

Blight is tough. Victory Seeds says they have a variety (http://www.victoryseeds.com/catalog/vegetable/tomato/articles/tomato_legend.html).