PDA

View Full Version : broccoli raab sprout Q

greenmama777
03-12-2009, 12:24 PM
My broccoli raab sprouted only 3 days after I planted it! Now I have 8 tall sprouts with what looks like a clover on the tip. This isn't the first leaves right? I don't put it under light already do I? Chives finally poking through and I believe I can see a bit of parsely. :D Only one problem...I found out broccoli raab isn't broccoli! It's a member of the mustard and turnip green family---faker! I hope it's not too late to start some real broccoli.... :rolleyes:

Kitty
03-12-2009, 02:31 PM
Hello Green moma777,
How wonderful that you have Broccoli Rabe growing!
I purchase Rabi all the time at the store and it's quite pricey compaired to broccoli.
Though I've never grown either one in my garden, I believe the broccoli rabe returns every year. It's not an annual.
I prefer rabe over broccoli, because It doesn't bloat me where broccoli does.
If your into trying the rabe once you plant it, try boiling it first, draining and pressing the water out of it once it's cooked, then transfering it to a frying pan and adding some chopped fresh garlic, olive oil and salt and pepper.
Once sauted for a few minutes you can serve it as a side, or toss it with pasta.
Have a great day,
Kitty:)http://thegypsybutterfly2.blogspot.com

greenmama777
03-12-2009, 02:37 PM
thanks for the tip!

gardengirl72
03-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Broccoli raab is delicious. It is super spicy and my family basically voted it down, but I really enjoy it.

plantoneonme
03-12-2009, 11:26 PM
My broccoli raab sprouted only 3 days after I planted it! Now I have 8 tall sprouts with what looks like a clover on the tip. This isn't the first leaves right? I don't put it under light already do I? Chives finally poking through and I believe I can see a bit of parsely. :D Only one problem...I found out broccoli raab isn't broccoli! It's a member of the mustard and turnip green family---faker! I hope it's not too late to start some real broccoli.... :rolleyes:

At the very first sign of anything poking out of the ground I put them under lights. Remember to keep the lights only 2-4" above the growing plants to keep them from getting leggy. Also blow a fan on them for at least a couple hours a day to help make the stems stronger so when they go outside they can stand up to the wind. Kim