PDA

View Full Version : Cheese!

Uke_Mochi
03-13-2009, 01:12 PM
YAY!

I have successfully made cheese by myself! After a few years of being the hands-on assistant as my boyfriend makes the stuff, i've done the deed all by my lonesome.

Best part is that we think that we've found a local herdshare to get in on! For those of you who've never ventured into cheesemaking - making cheese with store-bought milk is definitely doable, but the texture gets a little off (especially with hard cheeses) since the pasteurizing process the big dairies use destroy some key proteins. And good luck finding raw milk - it's so illegal for that to change hands that most producers won't do it anymore (fines are amazingly hefty). We liken it to a drug deal. :rolleyes:

This batch was a soft farmers cheese. When I herb some of it tomorrow, I will take some pics to share!

gardengirl72
03-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Holy Cow batman! Cheeze. I want more!!!

MoniDew
03-13-2009, 04:40 PM
I know what you mean about finding raw dairy products. Around here, raw dairy is only legal to feed to your pets. Whenever we go to the dairy, we have to agree that "the dog needs it" or we can't buy it. LOL

In Europe, cheeses are only made with raw milk. As such, they are a "living" food. The natural enzymes within the milk contribute to the process of cheesemaking. Europeans consider pasturized milk cheeses to be "dead," tasteless, and worthless.

I'm so happy to hear that you and your boyfriend are keeping this artisanal craft alive.

plantoneonme
03-13-2009, 06:31 PM
That is great! Is this the type that uses rennet? The only types of cheese I made are yogurt cheese...not real cheese but a good substitute for cream cheese with herbs added and Blanco (I think this is the name). Mother Earth News has lots of good instructions on making cheese and this is where I learned to make Blanco. It is very simple. You warm milk on the stove and add vinegar and stir. It makes a nice soft cheese with a good taste. It is a great way to use up milk if you have too much or find some on an incredible sale. I'll find the link and post later. Kim

plantoneonme
03-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Actually the cheese I made before is called Queso Blanco or white cheese. I could not find the link on MEN but did find this one. I don't remember using the yogurt but bet it would help with the culture.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2296683_make-queso-blanco-cheese.html?ref=fuel&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_campaign=yssp_art

Kim

Marcus
03-13-2009, 07:10 PM
Hi I have been planning on making cheese too I remember when I was a child my dad made a soft cheese by just adding a shot of lemon juice to milk and letting it stand once the curds and whay developed he strained it in muslin and let it dry out. Im going to have a good old search on the net to learn more. We tend to waste milk at home and I hate wasting things especially if theres more I can do with them.

take care

M

plantoneonme
03-13-2009, 07:31 PM
Hi I have been planning on making cheese too I remember when I was a child my dad made a soft cheese by just adding a shot of lemon juice to milk and letting it stand once the curds and whay developed he strained it in muslin and let it dry out. Im going to have a good old search on the net to learn more. We tend to waste milk at home and I hate wasting things especially if theres more I can do with them.

take care

M

Marcus, that would be the Queso Blanco. Basically you add and acid sich as the lemon juice or vinegar to milk, let curdle and drain. It makes a nice cheese, but it does not melt. Kim

ecogirl
03-14-2009, 05:13 AM
Cheese! Nice job!

Marcus
03-14-2009, 10:03 AM
Hi Kim

Thanks for the info am waiting for the milk to curdle as i type ;)
will look into rennet and presses at a later date I was supprised how expensive presses are

take care

Marcus

plantoneonme
03-16-2009, 04:27 PM
Hi Kim

Thanks for the info am waiting for the milk to curdle as i type ;)
will look into rennet and presses at a later date I was supprised how expensive presses are

take care

Marcus

Marcus, how did the Queso Blanco turn out? I am trying to get my hands on some unpasturized goat milk from a friend of my daughter's. She raises german shepards and her girl just had 13 babies! She is supplementing with goat's milk and may be able to get some for me as well. If she does, I will be in the cheese making game soon. Kim

Cynthia
04-19-2009, 04:07 PM
I'd love to have your recipe and a description of your process. I am very interested in trying to make cheese and I bet I can get goats milk or sheep milk around here.

Cynthia
04-29-2009, 10:46 AM
I found a raw milk dairy that is a couple of hours away. they are a Christian school and organic farm, I think I'll visit them to see what they ahve going on and also check into the raw milk.