PDA

View Full Version : Herb cubes

plantoneonme
09-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Right now is the perfect time to make herb cubes to use in winter cooking. I take fresh herbs, chop, place into ice cube trays, add a little water and freeze. When I want fresh herbs for my recipes I simply pop out a cube and add to my recipe. (I have several kinds such as basil, Italian or Mexican mix, oregano etc.)

A couple hints:

Since I make a lot of these, I have several ice cube trays that stack. I mark the end of the tray by placing a piece of tape with the name of the herb. After they are frozen I pop them out and put into zipper bags.

If you don't want to add the small amount of water used for freezing, you can thaw in a fine mesh strainer under running water.

AbbeyLehman
09-10-2008, 01:14 PM
....I take fresh herbs, chop, place into ice cube trays, add a little water and freeze. When I want fresh herbs for my recipes I simply pop out a cube and add to my recipe....

What an excellent way to more closely preserve the texture of fresh herbs! I have had small amount this year so I have been simply drying them in my gas oven with the pilot light for heat. I've done some green pepper this way, too, and it's worked beautifully!

gardengirl72
09-12-2008, 06:29 PM
Plant one does it again. That was one of my big surprises for this seasons videos. I just shot a how to video on using the herb cubes! Wow, geat minds.

rdsaltpower
09-12-2008, 09:34 PM
plantone , really cool idea. Showed this one to my wife and she loves it!

plantoneonme
09-13-2008, 02:45 AM
Never been told I had a great mind before LOL. Kim

Garden Addict
12-03-2008, 08:30 PM
I love to cook and there is nothing like "fresh" herbs. I'll have to try this next year. Thank You

maricybele
12-09-2008, 01:11 AM
To prevent waste, I have frozen spinach, arugula, dill, kafir lime, ginger and cilantro with good results for cooking. I just froze in a ziplock.