PDA

View Full Version : companion gardening question

Kevin
03-14-2009, 06:21 PM
I just finished planting one of my row gardens with sweet corn (heirloom stowells evergreen) . Anyway ,. I lister planted the corn in the troughs , With a fish head under each seed. Then on the hills between each row of corn I planted watermelon ( georgia rattlesnake) . Are these two plants compatible or did I just make a mistake. Kevin

Sinfonian
03-14-2009, 07:25 PM
Kevin, according to http://www.countrybrookfarms.com/Vegetable_Garden.html, you are fine. Corn and melon companions. However, just make sure both get full sun and don't shade each other. That would be my only concern.

Good luck!

Kevin
03-14-2009, 10:49 PM
Thanks Sinfonian, I couldn't find this combination in any of my literature.I had a feeling it would work . I was thinking of the old indian trilogy of corn beans and squash. But you Know melons and squash are similar , But with companion selection You never really Know. Thanks , Kevin

shebear
03-15-2009, 10:24 PM
If I remember correctly, that was a common practice by the sweet corn growers of old because raccoons don't like the prickly watermelon vines.

gardengirl72
03-17-2009, 01:46 PM
You are completely fine. That is basic native american three sisters planting, just throw some pole beans in there to keep the nitrogen levels up in the soil. (Beans are nitrogen fixing).

Kevin
03-17-2009, 03:47 PM
If I remember correctly, that was a common practice by the sweet corn growers of old because raccoons don't like the prickly watermelon vines.

Thanks Shebear, Never heard of that one. That really is cool . I love old farming trivea. Thank you ,Kevin

Kevin
03-17-2009, 03:56 PM
You are completely fine. That is basic native american three sisters planting, just throw some pole beans in there to keep the nitrogen levels up in the soil. (Beans are nitrogen fixing).

Thank you Patti,I think your right on the bean addition .The fish heads should jump start the nitrogen, but beans would make it sustainable. I'm thinking purple hulls , Only because I love to eat them. Thanks, Kevin