PDA

View Full Version : How to have a Plant stand

new500
03-18-2009, 08:15 AM
Hello All,
I have been doing some ground work. Does anyone have a book or list on having a successful plant stand. I would like to have a plant sale. I have a friend that lives in town that has one twice a year. She does not sale vegetables thought. I want to slowly introduce this in my area. I would need to know how many plants, signs, etc. The only place that sales veg is the Lowes and Home Depot oh and a few grocery stores.
Thanks
Tina

plantoneonme
03-18-2009, 08:48 AM
I don't know of a book but I can tell you that perinneals such as hosta, blackeyed susans, clemantis etc sell well. These are things I have sold very quickly in the past. Food items are not as well respected by most people for some reason. I can easily get $5 for a small hosta but am lucky to get $2 for an heirloom tomato that I baby just like a grandkid. People want to pay money for tomato plants that are already 3 ft tall with tomatoes attached and will then only pay $5...too much work for not enough money in my opinion.

I would look at selling maybe a mixture of flowers and vegetables to see how things go in your area. A good place to sell is at flea markets, farmers markets and even a well advertised garage sale. Some places to look for free or inexpensive advertising is Craigslist (free), flyers at stores and churches (cost of flyers) or an ad in a local newspaper (usually very low cost).

I look forward to other opinions and ideas as well. Kim

Warlord
03-19-2009, 10:29 PM
I plan on selling my extra tomato, broccoli and cauliflower plants at my wife's yard sale this spring. The town of Fremont is small but has quite a few farmers around the area. I just have to compete with the likes of local greenhouses and Walmart.:p I won't have that many plants to sell and besides who can resist a yard sale?:rolleyes: I did have an idea about advertising this fall/winter (2009) for people to place a custom order of seedlings for the following growing season in 2010. This would help me determine what kind of and how many seeds to start. A kind of what's hot and what's not thing. It would also alow me to start making a reputable name for myself and my business.

plantoneonme
03-20-2009, 09:34 PM
I plan on selling my extra tomato, broccoli and cauliflower plants at my wife's yard sale this spring. The town of Fremont is small but has quite a few farmers around the area. I just have to compete with the likes of local greenhouses and Walmart.:p I won't have that many plants to sell and besides who can resist a yard sale?:rolleyes: I did have an idea about advertising this fall/winter (2009) for people to place a custom order of seedlings for the following growing season in 2010. This would help me determine what kind of and how many seeds to start. A kind of what's hot and what's not thing. It would also alow me to start making a reputable name for myself and my business.

Warren I really like the idea of the pre-orders for the following year. Maybe you could also leave out a book asking for suggestions of other plants people would be interested in. I think a good color picture above the plants would be helpful also. People like to see what their plants will eventually look like...easy cheap advertising. Best of luck, Kim

Warlord
03-24-2009, 09:40 PM
Thanks Kim. Like I said it was just an idea, and I get a handfull of good and off the wall ideas all the time. I can also get easily sidetracked while working on different projects stopping one and moving onto something else. I do plan on printing out color pics to go with my yard sale plants. That way people can see what the fruit will look like. See ya in the garden,warren