PDA

View Full Version : Hello from South Florida

beansands
03-18-2009, 09:31 AM
I am originally from New Jersey, the "Garden State". Now I am in Florida, and having a hard time getting a vegetable garden started. I would like to grow tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, and carrots. Space is limited to containers in my screened-in pool area. I have been unsuccessful in the past, and need some advice. I do not want to waste anymore money on something that should be saving me money, so any input would be appreciated.

plantoneonme
03-18-2009, 10:39 AM
First and foremost welcome to the group. The only advice I can give from the start is that the types of plants you are growing require a MINIMUM of 6 hours of FULL sun daily. Does your pool area allow these sun requirements? Also let us know what you have done in the past that was not successful so we may be able to help better. Kim

gardenjoinery
03-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Hello. The good news is, you have nice hot, humid weather down there to grow big, fat tomatoes!

gardengirl72
03-19-2009, 01:26 PM
You know, the screened in pool could be a problem. If pollinating insects can't get in and do their job you won't get any fruits from your flowers.....this may be the problem right of the bat.....any ideas folks?

Kevin
03-19-2009, 02:23 PM
You know, the screened in pool could be a problem. If pollinating insects can't get in and do their job you won't get any fruits from your flowers.....this may be the problem right of the bat.....any ideas folks?

According to Ashworth in "seed to seed" The tomatos and peppers should work. They are inbreeding plants they can and will self pollinate. Actually it may benefit keeping heirloom seed pure with the peppers , since caging the plants for seed production is recommended . The cucumbers are outbreeding plants Your'e going to need pollinators . As far as carrots go pollination is sure not needed to produce the root. However , It is one of the hardest vegetables to grow in florida's heat. Also Too much sun in florida can be a serious problem. I grow almost all my spring vegetables in partial shade here. Good luck , Kevin

Kevin
03-19-2009, 02:30 PM
I am originally from New Jersey, the "Garden State". Now I am in Florida, and having a hard time getting a vegetable garden started. I would like to grow tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, and carrots. Space is limited to containers in my screened-in pool area. I have been unsuccessful in the past, and need some advice. I do not want to waste anymore money on something that should be saving me money, so any input would be appreciated.

Welcome beansands, Kevin

MoniDew
03-19-2009, 02:44 PM
welcome, happy to have you.

IF you container garden, you must watch soil depth and moisture levels. However, you should be able to find seed/plant starts intended for containers. Best to you!

Lynn
03-19-2009, 10:25 PM
I can only dream about being able to garden all year :) However, I think you should bring the garden out to the yard. For all the reasons everyone else said. The fact that you may have too much sun could be handled by using shade cloth.

http://www.gemplers.com/list.aspx?listNo=shade-cloth&s_kwcid=shade%20cloth|976480105

This link is interesting and useful information! Much like square foot gardening:
http://www.avant-gardening.com/greenzbox.html

Marcus
03-22-2009, 05:57 PM
HI There

Afraid I dont know much about the Florida weather as Im in the UK
(i wish we had the weather for a pool :) ) just wanted to say Hi and Welcome anyhows and good luck with getting things going I'm sure with peoples help on here you will soon have plenty growing

Take care

Marcus

gardengirl72
03-22-2009, 08:49 PM
Also consider the types of plants that are successful. Tropical plants thrive there. My father's place in West Palm is growing really well. They grow pineapple, mangoes, avocado, lots of tomato, citrus. SO much more. I'll get a complete list up shortly. Placement of your garden is also important. The more convenient it is located the easier it will be for you to maintain it.