PDA

View Full Version : How to harden off tomato plants

ellensgarden
03-18-2009, 12:18 PM
Hello Fellow Gardeners,
A few weeks ago I started some tomato seeds, ( From Baker Creek ) and they are doing great, they are about 5" inches tall, I planted two seeds per pot and every one germinated. My question is at what point should I cut one of the seedlings off to leave one healthy plant, also should they be put in larger pots as the seedlings mature, and if so should they be left in seed starer soil? And what is the best way to harden off the plants, I would hate to lose any of them.
Thanks in advance for your help,
Walt

Kevin
03-18-2009, 03:37 PM
Hello Fellow Gardeners,
A few weeks ago I started some tomato seeds, ( From Baker Creek ) and they are doing great, they are about 5" inches tall, I planted two seeds per pot and every one germinated. My question is at what point should I cut one of the seedlings off to leave one healthy plant, also should they be put in larger pots as the seedlings mature, and if so should they be left in seed starer soil? And what is the best way to harden off the plants, I would hate to lose any of them.
Thanks in advance for your help,
Walt

Hey Walt , Tomato plants are pretty tough plants, If yours are 5 inches tall they are definitely big enough to separate into individual plants . I wouldn't cut any of them . Right now I have several heirloom varieties planted in (4in x 6in) plastic strawberry clamshells, with probably 50 tomato plants per container . As soon as they grow their secondary leaves I separate them and replant them. It is much easier to maintain germination temps on smaller containers and then separate later.

plantoneonme
03-18-2009, 04:15 PM
I very carefully, using my fingers, pry apart the little seedlings and then transplant into individual containers. For tomatoes (only), I always transplant to the bottom of the leaves. I place in successively deeper containers as they grow taller until time to plant outside. This assures very deep, well established roots and healthier plants...btw, when I place out into the garden, I also plant up to the bottom leaves.

I have mine in 9 cell packs now, later will go into 8 oz cups and so on until they are in 20 oz styrofoam cups (all recycled!). The styrofoam cups help insulate the roots from extreme temperatures which again make for healthier roots.

As for hardening off, every day my temperatures are above 50 degrees, I place my plants outside for an hour daily which I let get progressively longer. In a couple weeks, they are sufficiently hardened off (usually).

Since I tend to place my plants outside any time it is warm enough, it will be way to early to plant outside such as today. It is 58 right now and my tiny seedlings are already setting outside on the patio gathering some sun. I think this helps them grow stronger and allows me to turn off the lights to save some electricity. On the weekend it will be way too cold, so they will stay indoors.

Considering I cannot plant outside until at least mid May, they will be moved in and out quite a bit. Some people feel this is too much work but I don't mind. By the time I plant outside, I don't have to bother hardening them off as I stated above. Kim

ellensgarden
03-18-2009, 07:32 PM
Thank you both, I will separate them and see if any of my family or friends would like to try heirloom plants. So far of the gardeners I know none have ever grown heirloom plants. I probably wouldn't have either if I had not stumbled on Patti's sight. It has changed the way I think about gardening.
Thanks again,
Walt

gardengirl72
03-19-2009, 01:47 PM
I agree with the above advise. This year I have a fan indoors on the plants a few hours everyday. My theory is that it will strengthen them for when the go outside.

rdsaltpower
03-20-2009, 10:12 PM
My tomato seeds I planted about 10 days ago have sprouted and are about 1inch tall. I started app. 60 plants. Also started about 30 mixed pepper plants this week, still waiting for them to pop. Only 4 of the tomatoes didnt sprout so I re-seeded those. I also added a raised bed app. 4'x5' from scrap lumber I scrounged from the shop. I'm really getting excited now! lol:D