PDA

View Full Version : Why did my tomato seeds I sprouted indoor die?

pakrat
03-19-2009, 11:52 PM
I'm kind of new to this seed sprouting inside process as I usually just buy the tomato plants and go from there. This year I tried to sprout Cherokee Purple Tomato seeds. After they were a couple of inches tall I put them in a container outside (by the way I live in Southern California where it was 80 degrees today). I had such hope for these little guys. I would visit them each day and talk to them and tell them to LIVE. I don't know what I did wrong :confused:. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding my problem? Thanks in advance.

Blossome
03-20-2009, 11:50 AM
I had that issue last year. I think you put them out into the heat to early. You have to introduce them into the full sun and heat gradually otherwise its too much for there tinny body's and they die. Next time start at an 1hr a day for about a week and then increase for like 3 or 4 weeks until they take full sun.

plantoneonme
03-20-2009, 03:40 PM
All plants must be hardened off over a period of 2-3 weeks before they can tolerate full sun, especially that of S. Cal. Do as blossome states and place them outside for 1 hour daily and increasing the time over the next couple weeks. You also have to make sure they NEVER dry out in the hot sun. Kim

pakrat
03-21-2009, 12:18 AM
Thanks Blossome and Plantoneonme for your sage advice. I'll be sure to "harden" them next time. Blessings, Brenda in So.Cal.

Warlord
03-26-2009, 08:30 PM
You may still have time to start your plants over. Last year I made the mistake of not hardening off my tomato plants that I started from seed. I placed them in my garden where they were brutaly killed by the elements. I did not give up. I restarted tomato plants from seed, hardend them off when they became of age, and out into the garden they went. The plants were still able to grow quite rapidly over the rest of the summer and produce a good amount of fresh, juicy, mouth-watering, tomatoes that we canned and shared with friends. Hope this helps. warren

Sinfonian
03-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Do as Warren says. Then if you must, buy seedlings from a nursery if these don't work. Plan C if you will.

Good luck!