PDA

View Full Version : I'm back, and we have baby chicks!

RogueAPBT
03-23-2009, 03:07 PM
Hey all, I've been AWOL all winter, I'm afraid. Sorry, just got busy with other things.

For a reminder, I'm Cheryl, WA state, have one boy who homeschools (12 y.o.), 2 dogs, 2 cats, one lone rex buck rabbit (pet), built a bunny tractor last fall, pics are on here somewhere, and it's working great. The boy and I also built a square firepit last summer, in the front garden, that will fit right in with the raised beds when we get them built.

Garden update:
Still no raised garden beds yet, but am planning one or two bed frames for this year, and in the meantime have some early sprouts going in the window, I put 4 blueberry plants and a peach tree in my old border beds, plus bought some more dahlias, begonias (in pots), and new for this year I'm trying asparagus.

I have a hardworking mole out there that continues to elude the cats, so it's iffy whether we'll ever actually see the dahlias or asparagus, but I thought I'd give it a go anyway. The blueberry plants are taking well, no signs of life from the peach tree yet, but hopefully it's just busy laying down roots.

I finally got a digital camera, so as soon as I figure out how to get the pics from there to my computer (lol), I'll have pics to share!

So, chickens... I wanted to get just 4 Rhode Island Red chicks, but there was a minimum purchase of 6, so I got 2 Barred Rock chicks as well. I used Fred's idea of using an aquarium for a brooder, which is nice, since I didn't have to use a bazillion watt bulb to keep them warm. They are growing a mile a minute. I think on of the BR chicks may be a rooster, or at least that one is constantly stirring up trouble, so I may have to separate the BRs just to keep the others from being upset all the time. I'd like a calm flock of hens if I can manage it.

So, that's the news for now. Just thought I'd do an update, and I'll be checking in more often now, and try to keep up on the board, since it's gardening season again for me.

Garden Green
03-23-2009, 03:19 PM
Welcome back! Sounds like you've been busy with moving forward and planning. Looking forward to the pics!