PDA

View Full Version : really affordable arbor

Kevin
03-23-2009, 08:15 PM
I have been really interested in alternative vertical growing techniques for several years , and have tried numerous pole assemblies and wire trellis arrangements . Anyhow , I recently acquired a used pipe and canvas carport/awning in a local garage sale for $20. The frame on this thing is 10 ft x20ft with the center peak being 10ft high.Anyway to make a long story short, I removed the canvas and attached field wire to the top and 2 long sides , leaving the ends open . We then set this whole assembly in one of our row gardens. I plan on planting , beans ,squash , asian pumpkins ,smaller melons , gourds etc. Kind of a pumpkin tunnel. If I figured the math right we ended up with 480 square feet of vertical growing space.

plantoneonme
03-23-2009, 10:03 PM
What an awesome find!

ecogirl
03-24-2009, 03:58 AM
Nice and cheap!

Cynthia
03-28-2009, 01:20 PM
I'd love to see a photo of this when you get it going.

gardengirl72
04-13-2009, 09:41 PM
Yes please post a picture so we can see.

Kevin
04-15-2009, 09:19 PM
As this arbor starts to fill up , I will try and get my son over here with his digital camera . I don't own one yet. Also he should know how to post a photo. I sure don't. I'm still kind of a dinosaur with some of these computer techniques. But anyway, since I originally posted this , the asian squash , blackeyes ,pole beans, zuchini, cukes,seminole pumpkins and cantelope have all sprouted and started to climb. Kevin

Aspen
05-21-2009, 02:42 PM
I can't wait to see how this works. I am pondering what kind of system to use for my vertical growing. Hubby says he doesn't want to make watermelon hammocks! I will make hammocks if that is what it takes.

I am not one for garage sales or flea markets, but I just may have to change my habits to find great stuff.