PDA

View Full Version : Onions have bolted

Cynthia
03-24-2009, 03:34 PM
I have discovered that my onions are about to flower - good in garlics, not so good in onion plants. Our temperatures have really been fluctuating and that is the likely culprit - 90 one day, low 30's the next, then high 80's the following week.

I harvested all the onions that have sent up flowers. They won't store well, so I'll be making onion soup with them, and probably chopping some and putting them int he freezer for later use in cooking.

I think next year I am going to buy from a Texas onion farm that isn't all that far away from me. I think their varieties might be more tolerant to weird Texas weather.

Kevin
03-24-2009, 04:47 PM
I have discovered that my onions are about to flower - good in garlics, not so good in onion plants. Our temperatures have really been fluctuating and that is the likely culprit - 90 one day, low 30's the next, then high 80's the following week.

I harvested all the onions that have sent up flowers. They won't store well, so I'll be making onion soup with them, and probably chopping some and putting them int he freezer for later use in cooking.

I think next year I am going to buy from a Texas onion farm that isn't all that far away from me. I think their varieties might be more tolerant to weird Texas weather.

Cynthia, What variety were you growing, I need to avoid this one, here in Florida also. Kevin

ecogirl
03-25-2009, 03:56 AM
Same here in the UK, its rainy then its sunny and rainy again! I do have lots of plants growing!!!! We grow onions and they are cold hardy..this is all I know!!!

plantoneonme
03-25-2009, 04:27 PM
I haven't had onions go to the flowering stage yet but I did with chives. I took the flowers and put them into a pretty bottle, filling about 1/2 full. I then filled the container with plain white vinegar. I let sit for a couple months and had the most wonderful flavored vinegar to use in salad dressings! You may be able to do the same thing. Kim

BTW, I sterilized the bottle first and put in boiling vinegar.