PDA

View Full Version : Crossed-Beak Chick

JudyH
03-27-2009, 11:13 AM
Fred, I have a question for you. One of my chicks has crossed-beak. Over the last 3 weeks, it's just gotten worse as the chick grows. I've read about people "trimming" the beak, etc. But, this chick's beak is so crossed that even trimming wouldn't help. I keep the feed very deep in the feeder so that she's able to eat (but it takes her a long time). I also keep the feed and the water elevated so that it's easier for her. She seems to be doing fine for now.

Some opinions that I've read say to cull these chicks while others say they have full grown chickens with severe crossed-beak. I also read something about some kind of oil that can be rubbed on their beak and face to correct the cross.

This chick is an Easter-Egger (Ameraucana?) standard-sized chicken. She's 5 weeks old now.

What has been your experience with cross-beak?

Thanks!

Fred's Fine Fowl
03-27-2009, 11:53 AM
I've personally never owned a cross-beaked chick or adult chicken...

However, if there is someone suggesting a beak oil rub? I'd put that bottle right next to my fantastic potions and magic cures :}

The beak can have problems at the chick stage due to vitamin deficiency in the adult stock and later on with feed issues, often tied to a lack of Vitamin D, also Vitamin E can, if there is a deficiency, weaken muscles responsible for aligning the upper beak and eventually cause it to cross.

Food for thought, Vitamin D may be present in the feed, but it the bird can't get some fair amount of direct sunlight, it may not assimilate properly into the bird's system and therefore effect proper muscle and skeletal growth.

People may say "cull" as these birds should not be reproducing, potentially perpetuating a defect. This is why I always stress sourcing your birds from the best stock you can find. I've seen some real mutants (not that your bird is one), coming from feed stores and "bargain" sources. You should know what you are getting and where it comes from?

This bird will simply have a crossed beak... it does impede proper feeding, but you're doing the right thing, keeping feed deep and in a trough. The clipping of the upper beak, should be limited to the tip only, being careful not to damage the primary beak tissue which has nerves in it. Think of it as a dog's toenail. Just cut back a little at a time and this will help with the feeding issues.

If it's genetic, your sort of up a creek on this one and will always have the crossed beak issue.. if it's dietary, then with sunshine and proper nutrition, you may see a slight correction taking place.

Thanks for your question...

Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com

JudyH
03-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Thanks Fred. I do believe it's genetic as the "skull" of this chick is a bit deformed also. It wasn't that way when I purchased the chick though... it's just kinda grown that way. The rest of the dozen seem to be fine so I don't think it's a vitamin deficiency.

I was at the feed store the day the chicks arrived and saw that they came from a well-known hatchery in Texas. But I've also heard some not so good things about hatcheries in general too :-(

I am just going to keep feeding and watering her so that she is sure to get what she needs. So far, she's doing well with the other chicks so I just want to keep them all together. She's probably by far the most aggressive when it comes to feeding time -- she'll knock all the others out of the way for food :D even the larger, more aggressive chicks.

I don't plan on hatching any eggs (I didn't buy any roos -- I hope LOL) so if this is genetic I won't be producing more chicks with this problem.

However, if there is someone suggesting a beak oil rub? I'd put that bottle right next to my fantastic potions and magic cures :}

LOL!! That's kinda what I thought too when I read that! :rolleyes:

Thanks Fred! I will keep you posted on her progress and growth!