PDA

View Full Version : Check out Stuffed Squash flowers!

gardengirl72
03-27-2009, 08:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMq7RSjjh4U

Check out this delicious new one, and make sure you RATE the Video! I am trying to break some records (personal of course)!

No really, rate the video it makes me very happy.....please....pretty please..

Kevin
03-27-2009, 09:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMq7RSjjh4U

Check out this delicious new one, and make sure you RATE the Video! I am trying to break some records (personal of course)!

No really, rate the video it makes me very happy.....please....pretty please..

Patti, that is a really cool video, I can't wait to try this myself this year.I can't get it out of my head now . I'm thinking,pepper jack , crab meat, picadillo. The stuffings that are possible with this are basically unlimited. I like this one, Kevin

ecogirl
03-28-2009, 10:28 AM
It just makes me hungry!! Shame we don't grow squashes...

gardengirl72
03-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks everybody, need all the help I can get! The stuffings are unlimited. The thing that I didn't mention, that goes in the book, by taking one or two of the flower from the plant, the remaining fruit grows even bigger!

bunnelj
03-28-2009, 09:50 PM
Patti,
Great video, I had a ton of squash blossoms last year, I would typically harvest them, dip in some EVOO, salt and pepper, and grill them....delicious also, but your recipe takes it to a new level! (watch out for bees in the blossom's, had one that I almost grilled by accident!)

powderedsugar5
05-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Yumm! I love the video and I honestly would have not tried stuffing and deep frying flowers before this. Now I can't wait to try.
Thanks! Jamie

SimplyForties
05-04-2009, 11:43 PM
I did this in a cooking school in Italy a couple of years ago and hadn't thought about it since. Thanks for reminding me!

daddylonglegs
07-18-2009, 06:54 AM
I think this video is great Patty. I'm half Italian; deep frying the squash flowers is pretty popular in Italian families. I'd never thought of stuffing them with cheese, that's a great new twist. Also, egg and flower rather than making a wet batter is a good thought too.

I guess the jury is out on the oil...Some of the Utube comments were a little harsh. It looks like it worked well when you were cooking it. Are you still alive? If so, I'll try it and see what I think.

The only thing that you might have added is to show how to differentiate between the male and female flowers. I can just picture some poor kid harvesting all the flowers and having no squash.

You make wonderful videos Patty. In my opinion, artistically they keep getting better and better.

Happy Saturday!
DaddyLongLegs

Cynthia
07-26-2009, 08:02 PM
I would suggest canola oil for the frying. Peanut oil is good too but not everyone has this. Olive oil has a low smoking point and though you can use it, probably should at least cut it in 1/2 with another oil.

Now that I have said that, I wonder if there is a different breading that wouldn't require frying - that might be a nice alternative - bread crumbs that are then sauteed in the lower temp olive oil.

and what about vegans - no egg and no cheese, what sort of alternatives...

just a thought