PDA

View Full Version : Late Freeze - Argh

Cynthia
03-28-2009, 10:41 AM
We are getting a very late freeze tonight. Our average last freeze date is 15 March - but not this year. I'll be covering seedlings and hoping for the best.

flatlander
03-28-2009, 01:15 PM
The same storm just buried us with snow. Some areas got 26 inches, and with high winds, that can bury a house! Needless to say, I expect to have to replant when this is over.

Cynthia
03-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Well, the low was predicted to be 30 - so in a burst of energy, I dug out all my tomatoes & the annual flowers that had been planted and bagged them for safe keeping overnight - in the house.

I got a lot of other garden chores done in hopes of protecting the plants - mulching, etc.

The good news is we never got close to freezing - I think our low was 39.

So I will spend my afternoon replanting and luckily, tomatoes like to be replanted. And, once that is accomplished, I'll be ready to relax a little.

wyogardener
04-04-2009, 11:07 AM
I had to chuckle when I read your post. I'm DYING to start gardening, but this time of year is awful for us - our average frost free day isn't until June! I woke up this morning to 5" of wet, heavy snow burying my new raised beds. So I'm inside cruising the gardening sites.

Glad you didn't freeze!

riskybidnes
04-05-2009, 08:22 PM
I am glad the frost did not get your plants.:)
I have a question, it is suppose to frost here Tuesday night. What do you cover your plants with and how do you do it? I have seedlings breaking through the ground as we speak-carrots, radishes and lettuce. I have brocolli and cauliflower plants about four inches. I don't want to lose them.
Sorry if I stole your thread but I don't know what to do.:confused:
Thanks for any help.

Cynthia
04-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Well, we got it last night. The low was predicted 29 and while it never froze according to the house thermometer, the plants took a hit. The tops of the potatoes are wilted, as are about 1/2 the squash (of 8 plants). I think I lost one tomato completely and all three pepper plants.

Still, it could've been worse.

Here is what I learned.

two layers of fabric is better than one - I had couble layers of sheets on most plants.
tomatoes were wrapped with a bath towel and then covered with a large plastic landscape bucket
potatoes do need to be covered - I almost left them bare :)
water everything thoroughly before temps begin to fall
lots of folks go to GoodWill or similar thrift shops to get sheets and blankets to cover plants - this is a good idea. I wish I had more sheets and blankets on hand
your lettuce carrots, brocolli, etc ought to be just fine - they are pretty cold hardy.. Cover them just to be sure.

Sinfonian
04-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Great advice. Sorry you lost stuff. I now have to worry about my potatoes. Everything else is under hoop covers.

Of course, my cauilflower froze under covers this winter when we dipped below 20. Next time I will throw a planket over the hoops on really cold nights.

Interesting about watering before the freeze. I figured the water would freeze in the soil. Good to know I'm fine.

Thanks.

Cynthia
04-08-2009, 11:38 AM
I know the water is supposed to protect the roots - of course, in a really hard freeze, it isn't going to help. Peach farmers even spray their blossoms with water before a freeze to help protect the blossom, I suspect most of them lost the peach crops though - it was a tough, late freeze for us.

How did everyone's plants do? I definitely lost all my peppers - I have tomorrow off so I can go pick up some new plants and start again. I'll certainly think about this late freeze for years to come. We don't have hoop houses made yet, and that would've helped. Plus, I would really like to understand how they calculate how much warmth you get with a hoop house, covered in plastic, and them maybe a blanket :)

Garden Addict
04-08-2009, 05:40 PM
We had a hard quick snow of about an inch this morning. Temps. were about 30 deg. I have broccoli, lettuce, spinach in but they should be fine. Crazy cold weather we're having here in Pa. Hope everyone fared well.

plantoneonme
04-08-2009, 06:53 PM
I am happy to report that everything in the hoop house not only survived the recent snow, but new seeds I planted are starting to poke through the ground. I am totally convinced at the wonders of owning a hoop house! My plan is to make 2 more for the new beds before fall sets in.

The only plant slightly set back was my potted potato. It was touching the plastic in a couple spots and the leaves look wilted, but the rest of the plant looks fine....only time will tell if I made a big mistake putting it outside too soon. Kim

riskybidnes
04-08-2009, 10:42 PM
I think everything made it OK. I really appreciate the advice on how to cover and care for my plants in a frost.

gardengirl72
04-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Share some images with us. I'd love to see how far along everyone is.

Cynthia
04-29-2009, 10:59 AM
I update this every week or so - I'd love to have you all follow along. You can also subscribe to updates.
Cynthia's Garden (http://gallery.me.com/cynthiamckenna)

Maryann
06-08-2009, 12:39 AM
Boy, frustration was setting in and now I can't get enough time outside! Its my first real attempt and I am loving in! What is sad is the growing season. so short and with a serious heat wave in the middle. any suggestions?
I am in so.CA waaay southern CA. I did manage to start some in the house, not too much room or knowledge. Maybe I will try the sprouting in the car I read about. You guys are great. the encouragement is fantastic!
Maryann