PDA

View Full Version : I'm so late on everything...

KalenaPlants
03-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Ok, so...I'm late on planting. When I mean late, I mean late.

I didn't start any of my seeds indoors yet because I couldn't decide what grow light to get. Also, around the time I was trying to start my seeds (February), none of the store had the stuff that I wanted to pick up. This meant I had to go online and get things. Grow lights are expensive, especially if you want a "plug and go" sort of light. I don't have an interest in putting a light together from individual parts. :confused:

So, no seedlings, no plants for transplanting outdoors. I feel kind of like a failure. I know that the danger of frost is almost done here, if not already, and I feel like I should be planting things right now. Work had me busy up until this week (BTW, we just wrapped on shooting Ben 10 for Cartoon Network. If anyone knows of the cartoon or has kids who watch the cartoon, the live-action adventure starts in the fall!), and now I'm fighting a cold, so I'm in my bed right now watching the rain coming down wishing I took a Saturday to construct a rain barrel.

HELP! I'm feeling like a lazy gardening bum! Where should I go from here? Any suggestions? Any motivation?:(

Sinfonian
03-28-2009, 05:26 PM
You'll be fine. Most stuff I'd just direct sow when it's time. Sure you will be a bit behind us that started seedlings, but then you won't have to worry about bad transplanting issues.

Check out my blog for a cheap and easy seed starting system I made from scratch based on extensive research online. I think my whole setup cost less than $100. The plug-in lights themselves were $17 each from Lowes because I wanted to go T12s vs. T8s (T8s were only $10 each). Don't get grow bulbs, just buy one kitchen/bath bulb and one daylight bulb. That way you span the spectrum just fine for cheap.

Don't worry, you'll be fine, even if you want tomatoes, buying seedlings from the store isn't the end of the world. I did it last year and was pleased with the results.

Believe me, I understand busy, my garden is lacking right now also. Work is hellish. Take care and enjoy your garden, don't become a slave to it!

gardengirl72
03-28-2009, 06:17 PM
Kalena, you live in Georgia, you are completely fine. You could probably whip up some sprouts tomorrow and get a wonderful harvest. If it is stressful don't do it, have fun.

Trust me.

KalenaPlants
03-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Thank you both very much. I do have a few things I can direct sow. When I get over this cold, I'll get to work. Thank you for your support. I'll take some photos soon!

plantoneonme
03-31-2009, 10:45 AM
I hope you are feeling better and had some time to get a few things planted. Kim