PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Shelby in Denver!

shelbynoel
03-29-2009, 04:37 PM
I have always been into decortive gardens (except for my tomatoes which I do every year), but have met a new friend/neighbor who has introduced me to edible landscapes. So, this year, I am planning on planting a garden full of vegetables and some fruit bushes (as well as grape vines). We are excited to can and use all of the items that we are able to grow so we can eat them throughout the year! I am using many of Patty's ideas such as raised beds, as well as square foot gardening, as I live in the heart of Denver. Patty has inspired me to create self sustaining gardens while maintaining my urban lifestyle! I'm excited. Spring is almost here (we just got 16 inches of snow!)

ecogirl
03-30-2009, 02:53 AM
Patti really did inspire me when I came! :eek: Snow!

plantoneonme
03-30-2009, 03:34 PM
May I recommend you doing a search on potager gardens, you will be amazed at the beauty of flowers and vegetables together. Here is one description of what a potager garden is:

What Is A Potager?

A potager or kitchen garden can be defined in different ways but it usually combines edible plants with an attractive garden display. In some cases only food plants are grown. These can be vegetables, herbs, and also perhaps some fruit and edible flowers such as nasturtiums.

Other people include a few non-edible flowers for display only. However, this is not strictly necessary when you consider how many flowers can find their way into salads.

The potager is an attractive type of vegetable garden which allows the vegetables to be sited close to the house without sacrificing esthetics. This is very good for the vegetables of course, because they get a lot more attention from you that way.

BTW, Welcome! Kim

gardengirl72
04-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Welcome and thanks for your support! Hope all the snow is gone now.

leydaleon
04-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Welcome Shelby! I am at Ft. Collins! :) Waiting for May 4th to come! :) (our last frost date!)