PDA

View Full Version : Chicken behavior question

Uke_Mochi
03-31-2009, 09:29 AM
Hi All!

I've got 3 Aracuana layers, not quite a year old. Yesterday I noticed that one of the hens has completely lost her "beard." My first instinct was that maybe she's just moulting, but then I noticed one of the other hens "grooming" her neck. She seemed to like it.:confused: I've noticed this activity with our zebra finches, but I've never noticed any feather loss.
For the beardless chicken, there is no noticeable irritation of the skin - just no feathers on the front of her neck. Is this something I should be keeping an eye on?

Thanks!!

-Kate

Fred's Fine Fowl
03-31-2009, 05:18 PM
There is normally a reason for grooming to the point of losing feathers and portions of the face an head are often areas birds can't clean or attend themselves if parasite pests are present.

Other chickens may see the tiny movements and pick at them.

As a precaution, or even preventative measure, douse all your birds with DE (diatomaceous earth) including nest boxes and dust bath area. This will have an instant effect on any tiny critters.

Do all the birds, or if there are tiny crawlers, they will simply move bird to bird.

If there are no critters, it still won't hurt to do this treatment. Everyone who keeps chickens, should always have a supply of DE around. It's a wonderful non-chemical method of treating for external bugs.

Let us know what you find out?

As always,

Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com

Uke_Mochi
04-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Fred, as always, thank you for the valuable insight!

But, I may have to chalk this one up to "user error"...
Mere hours after posting my question, I remembered that the hens got the leftovers from breakfast that day. Oatmeal. :o BAD chickie mom!!

Now I need to come up with an extra-special treat for my girls to make up for this food faux pas (I use the compost litter method, so they get a pretty regular regiment of kitchen veggie scraps)! Only this time, it won't be something that will turn into cement if left unattended.:(

Thanks for the tip on the diatomaceous earth... I'll certainly make sure that I have some on hand for once the weather gets warmer.

BTW, her feathers are already coming back, and she still loves me.

Best-

K

Uke_Mochi
04-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Well, it's been about a week. I thought Rufus was getting some feathers back... but this is what I saw today:(click for larger image)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3553/3424541385_78ef25bbd7.jpg (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3553/3424541385_78ef25bbd7_b.jpg)

Fred, I guess this means it's time to try your DE remedy, no?:(

Fred's Fine Fowl
04-09-2009, 08:30 AM
First, it's always a good time for DE... I don't wait for signs of trouble...

I'm looking at your photo and see the little replacements coming in, or at least trying to. I also see that where the skin is bare, there are tiny remnants of the feathers quills... Have you still observed another hen pecking at this hen's feathers?

Try setting them apart and see if the feathers come in without her grooming partner. Chickens can form habits and I don't see the characteristic dark blood spots on her waddles or comb, which normally show when bugs feed on chickens.

Also, while the base of the feather remains in the skin, it will remain featherless in that area until the actual molt comes on. The feathers which have the starters going will develop fine.

I say, you will have your answer if you can isolate this chicken from the others and observe the feather growth.

And yes, use DE no matter the outcome... at least that's what I would do.

Thanks for the update!

Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com

Uke_Mochi
04-09-2009, 09:27 AM
The DE is to be picked up with our next round of feed (today or tomorrow) - it was a little hard to locate. Dad also mentioned that I would want to wear my respirator while dusting, since the stuff is apparently pretty irritating to the lungs! (he worked for our local government in Employee Health Safety-was an invaluable resource when I was learning how to work with fiberglass, etc)

Fred, thanks as always for the advice. I am not usually one to wait to treat problems. I'll post updates as things progress.

gardengirl72
04-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Good call on the DE recommendation. How often should it be used throughout the year for your chickens?

Fred's Fine Fowl
04-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Whenever we replace the nest box shavings, I put down a smattering of DE first... like sugar coating a doughnut?

If I notice a chicken doing a little more scratching than he/she should, or giving that little head shake too often... I get a scoop of DE and douse each chicken in every coop... takes me all morning!

I also sprinkle it on top of their feed maybe once a month during summer and spring. Just for good measure... this keeps the feed dry and helps with any internal parasites they may have hanging around.

I also put it in their dust baths.... if I see them fluffing in a favorite spot, I add in DE... just for kicks.

So, that's it... it's easy to keep track of those I've powdered.. they are white and fluff a cloud from time to time... I do wear a basic paper respirator when dusting my birds, as it gets heavy inside the coops. Even the flies leave!

I have purchased 50# of DE over the past 9 years, so it goes a very long way... When dusting a bird, get it under their wings, between their legs, around their head and dust up the vent area really good! They don't seem to understand what you just did to them, but if chickens had expressions on their faces, I'm certain it would be a scowl (">

Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com