PDA

View Full Version : OMG OMG OMG...they're here!

KalenaPlants
04-05-2009, 12:54 AM
I have a few seedlings that have come up!!! I also see a few big seedlings trying to break through the soil. They still have those two little "leaves" on them and they're so cute! I'm going to take some pictures tomorrow.
The problem is...I forgot to label them. I'll see what they are when they start to get their true leaves.

So, here's my question, I planted a lot of different seeds in one indoor "greenhouse" so each little starter cup has a seed in it with different germination times. I just started these seeds a few days ago, so should I separate the ones that have started to come up and put them in their own greenhouse (cover with plastic) or just leave them all in there until they all start to come up?

I want to say I separate them. What do you all say?

plantoneonme
04-05-2009, 04:50 PM
As soon as the seeds pop out of the ground they need to go under lights. If you wait until all the seeds come up, the earlier ones will get too "leggy" and will probably fall over and die. Kim

leydaleon
04-06-2009, 12:36 PM
Mine are here too! Let's see how the lettuces survive... They have shown to be weaker than the other ones! I didn't even expected them to germinate because my son tripped over with them and the seeds were supposed to germinate in those days. Let's see... Next week I will post pics in my blog to share with friends. You can stop by and comment if you want! :)

KalenaPlants
04-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Click on the link below to see them. They're adorable!

Kalena:)

http://homepage.mac.com/amiraprod/PhotoAlbum204.html

plantoneonme
04-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Isn't it wonderful the first time your little babies pop their heads above the soil!

It looks like some are in the Jiffy pots with the mesh...one word of caution...when transplanting outside, remove the mesh. I have had some terribly stunted plants due to the mesh. Kim

JudyH
04-06-2009, 10:50 PM
Isn't it wonderful the first time your little babies pop their heads above the soil!

It looks like some are in the Jiffy pots with the mesh...one word of caution...when transplanting outside, remove the mesh. I have had some terribly stunted plants due to the mesh. Kim

I completely agree -- remove the mesh. I've noticed too that when I use the peat pellets and transplant into my beds THEN when I remove the spent plants at the end of the season, some (depending on which veggie it is) is kind of root bound in the peat pellet even with the mesh being removed prior to planting in the garden. Wow, what a run-on sentence LOL. But you get the drift.

I have a new soil block maker that I will be using as soon as I use up all these peat pellets I bought LOL

KalenaPlants
04-06-2009, 10:54 PM

I love them ALL! lol. Thanks Kim for all the support! Oh yeah, the Jiffy pots are cool. I already had to transplant the big one because it's roots went straight through the mesh and went down toward the bottom of the mini greenhouse. Had to put him in a 3oz. cup with some holes at the bottom. YAY!

KalenaPlants
04-06-2009, 11:04 PM
I completely agree -- remove the mesh. I've noticed too that when I use the peat pellets and transplant into my beds THEN when I remove the spent plants at the end of the season, some (depending on which veggie it is) is kind of root bound in the peat pellet even with the mesh being removed prior to planting in the garden. Wow, what a run-on sentence LOL. But you get the drift.

I have a new soil block maker that I will be using as soon as I use up all these peat pellets I bought LOL

You have a soil block maker? Cool! Yeah, I noticed that the pellets don't always fully expand. What I did for the red pots, which came with pellets, was carefully watch the pellets, turn them over, and break them all up with a little toothpick. Wow...I never cared about dirt this much before.

Sinfonian
04-07-2009, 12:13 AM
First off, congrats! Glad you found success!

I love my soil block maker. www.jbest123.com I think has instructions how to make them. The web address is from memory. He frequents the GW SFG forum.

Enjoy your garden.

leydaleon
04-07-2009, 10:32 PM
My lettuces were coming weak... yesterday I had a "talk" with them... lol (extreme desperation)... I told them "either you wake up and grow or I will throw you guys in the trash!" lol Apparently it worked like a charm! They were beautiful well behaved babies this morning! lol lol hahahahaha

KalenaPlants
04-09-2009, 12:15 AM
I lost some of my lettuce seedlings. I forgot to water some of the ones in the paper cups. They were fine this morning and then I looked at them tonight and they were wilted and dead. Were they too close to the light? I took the cover off the greenhouse and put them right under the light. Was it the heating pad beneath them? I haven't unplugged it since we got a bit of a cold front and our patio is drafty. Made me pretty sad.

However, my cucumber and carrots are doing well still. I got another light and it's right on top of the plants this time. I poked some holes in the top of the greenhouse because when I keep the top on it's a lot of condensation in there in the morning. I didn't want the plants to smother and stuff. But today I took the top off and put them right underneath the light and suddenly the dirt was dry. Any thoughts on what I did wrong? Maybe I should plants different seeds at different times and in different conditions.

gardengirl72
04-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Do you have a spray bottle handy? When you check them mist them with water in between watering them. Are there holes on the bottom of the cups? You probably don't need the heating pads any more. once the Seeds have sprouted you should be all set.

KalenaPlants
04-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Do you have a spray bottle handy? When you check them mist them with water in between watering them. Are there holes on the bottom of the cups? You probably don't need the heating pads any more. once the Seeds have sprouted you should be all set.

Thank you so much for the advice. I took the heat pad off and the little ones are very happy :) I also keep them misted now and they seem to really like that.

All of my carrot seeds have sprouted, but now I have the interesting problem of how to repot them. I planted 2-3 seeds per soil pellet because I didn't expect more than one of them to come up...but all of them have. Now, what is the best method of separating and repotting these delicate little plants. I just know that they'll get crowded and I don't want to pinch any back. I want to give them all a fighting chance (The FIGHTIN' CARROTS!:D). Any suggestions guys?

gardengirl72
04-14-2009, 09:24 PM
Carrot seeds should be sowed directly in the soil where they will grow to harvest. So I'm not sure how much success you'll have repoting them. I have also grown them in doors in a container that was deep enough for the carrots to grow. When you are able to plant them in the ground thin them out and also sow some carrot seeds as well. Once sprouted they will need to be thined out as well, but you'll have a harvest. Water them well.