PDA

View Full Version : projects,projects,projects

Warlord
04-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Ok, I transplated most of my tomato seedlings into bigger pots. So, here's what else will be going on this spring. I have on my list the following : I will be doing some remodeling work on the stairs; buying and installing a new washing machine, Oh by the way that will mean pulling up part of the porch floor to install new water, drainage, and electric lines; I also will have to put up some rain gutter and hook up my rain barrels; not to mention I will have to till up the garden and remove this big honkin walnut stump that is in the garden. (I planted around it last year but no more); I also have a wooded five acre lot about 12 miles out of town. And until recently it didn't occure to me that I have all the potential bio mass that I will ever need. Hence my little 4 x 8 ft. leaf compost bed project. Well that's the major stuff going on before I start planting my Broccolli and cauliflower by the end of April. I don't have a hoop house but after checking out kim's blog on how to build one it sure looks tempting. Today is Apr. 5th!:eek: Anybody willing to bet I can't do all this stuff within a few weeks? I will take pics for the record. Warlord :cool:

plantoneonme
04-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Looks like you have quite a list of projects! My husband surprised me this weekend when I was at work with 2 new raised beds. When he is feeling well, he is trying to get some projects done around here as well. It is beginning to take a toll on him I'm afraid but he wants to get so much done before he gets any sicker. I have trimmed my "honey do" list to practically nothing at this point. I think he is more worried than he lets on so tries to keep himself busy with little projects when I am not home so I am looking for simple projects he could do and nap on and off during the day. He really likes working outside or in the garage so I have asked him to do a smaller project for me this week or next. On another forum as well as Sinfonian's blog, there is a potato bin that you can make taller as the plants grow. It is basically a bunch of 2' sq boxes that can be stacked higher and higher as the plants grow. I think he can make me one without using up too much energy. This way I can get my potatoes started and at the same time not use up planting space in the exhisting beds. John picked up a huge pile of culled lumber from Lowe's really cheap to use for this type of project as well as the new beds and shelves he built in the basement.

Good luck getting all your projects done. Kim

gardengirl72
04-06-2009, 10:54 AM
You can do it! Leaf composting you say..make sure you shred them so they will compost faster.

Warlord
04-21-2009, 10:13 PM
Well its Apr 21st and most of my projects are comming together rather slowly. I won't be as far along as I had hoped by the end of the month but thats o.k.. It's always good to have a goal. The stairway is atleast safer than it was; I managed to remove most of the stump till my cheap chainsaw stopped working(I will plant around the stump) I will be tilling up the garden this weekend with a rental rototiller because the one I borrowed last weekend would not start; We won't be buying a washing machine for awhile so finishing installation of the water, electrical and drain lines can be put on hold; I can now use the old stairway boards to make a platform for my rain barrels to sit on. I do have most of the pvc pipe and fittings cut and ready to go on the rainbarrels. I have the materials for the hoop house. I can drill holes on my lunch break and assemble the whole thing after I till the garden. My wife is having a yard sale this Thurs. and Fri. so I will be cleaning up the yard and helping with set up. I will be hardening off my tomatoes soon so I can try selling some in a couple of weeks. warren