PDA

View Full Version : Nylon trellises? Kitsap frost date?

alittletouched
04-07-2009, 12:43 PM
It's my first year, as some of you may know from my scant few posts on here. I want to grow some vine plants, such as zucchini, beans, and watermelon. I love Patti's nylon trellises but have been unable to find any information on the site about how she constructed them. Searches on the web have turned up little information on where to get the netting or how to make it and I'm unsure how to attach it to a metal frame and how to attach the metal frame to my beds. Any information you guys can offer would be so very awesome. I want to get cracking on the beds and utilize the season as fully as I can. I'm already excited about the roma tomato seedlings that I purchased yesterday and have been double-digging like a fiend! So excited about the growing season!

Oh, and I was wondering if my Kitsap county locals know what our frost date is? I've had a hard time finding it.

Thanks to everyone!

Sinfonian
04-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Hey there. I think Patti uses the metal conduit pipe for her trellises. I use 2x4s attached to the sides of my beds. Whatever works for you.

Nylon netting is widely available from nurseries and catalogs, or the internet.

KitsapFG probably has a more definite date for Kitsap Co., but I'd say April 15 to May 1 is a good range historically.

Good luck and enjoy!

kitsapFG
04-09-2009, 08:34 AM
April 15th is the average last frost date for our area - Kitsap County, Washington.

As to the nylon netting - you can order it from many garden supply sources/seed catalogs and I know for a fact you can also purchase it at Valley Nursery (Poulsbo).

I use tie wraps to secure my netting to my trellis structures. I sink my trellis structures directly into the ground - so I personally do not attach them to the boxed beds.

Hopefully Patti will add to this discussion and explain her specific methods and how she constructs them and attaches them.

alittletouched
04-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks, FG! That was VERY helpful! Valley's right around the corner from me and using the garden ties to hold it to the frame is brilliant! Maybe I can buy some extra bamboo stakes and fix it all together and just tap it into the ground this year. Pretty cheap to do and quick! Thank you, thank you!

marcia
04-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Check with WSU they may have a general last frost date, but it can vary year to year. Because you have water surrounding you, you have your own micro climate. Try this link http://kitsap.wsu.edu/hort/info/frost_dates.htm

alittletouched
04-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Most excellent link, Marcia, thank you! Very informative and fascinating!