PDA

View Full Version : Worm Bin help!

Blossome
04-07-2009, 02:22 PM
I've ordered some red wiggler worms. but it only comes in the count of 500$ I have mone of those big 24 gallon buckets with the lids like Patty used in her vid but bigger. How much dirt,newspaper and compost should I use for this many worms and is one bin enough, should I get two? I don't want them to die due to over crowding. Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

Cynthia
04-07-2009, 02:25 PM
I moved your post over here so the worm experts could offer some advice.

Sounds like you have room for worms!

ecogirl
04-07-2009, 02:29 PM
It really depends on the size of the worm bin, for most average sized domestic worm bins we would suggest you start with 1 lb. - approximately 800 - 1000 mixed sized worms. If the worm bin is a larger size for composting the food scraps of four adults or more then 2 lbs. would be advised.

I found this piece of text when I was researching your question. Hope it helps!

flatlander
04-08-2009, 07:56 AM
A 24 gallon tub is way big enough for 500 wigglers. Fill the tub up with damp, not wet, shredded or torn newspaper. You can put some compost in it but it's not necessary. Don't put in any dirt. Once the boys are aclimated to the bed (a couple of days) start adding small amounts of kitchen waste. They'll start eating slowly so watch the bin and add more as their appetite increases. After a couple of months you'll notice an increase in the amount of worms you have, but with a tub that large, you won't have to divide it for a year or so.

Blossome
04-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Thank you much for the advise, I went home and looked at the bin it's actually 18 gallons. I hope this is big enough. I will let you all know how it goes when I get the worms.

Blossome
04-08-2009, 01:58 PM
I moved your post over here so the worm experts could offer some advice.

Sounds like you have room for worms!

Oh great! thanks for the help.