PDA

View Full Version : Hi from PA!

kristim23
04-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Hi everyone! Since becoming a stay at home mom last spring I have been day dreaming about starting a garden, getting some chickens, maybe a few goats, and after seeing Fred's site, I think we could use some worms, too! However, my husband isn't so keen on the chicken idea. Anyone know the magic word to change his mind?
Anyway, I would like to have about eight hens. However, this is all new territiry for me, and we are planning on another baby, so I might wait till next spring to order them. That will give me a lot of time to plan, and to study Fred's Fine Fowl site- such great info! And I LOVE the emu babies!

ecogirl
04-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Welcome to the community! If you write a letter to your husband saying all the benefits of having a chicken then he just might change his mind. Depends on you what you want to do.

gardengirl72
04-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Maybe there is some sort of compromise you can make. Maybe less chickens and just getting bantam chickens, might do the trick. It's always best to start off small. Let us know what happens.

kristim23
04-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the welcome! I can see that this forum is addictive already! I have also decided to plant some herbs out on my deck, thanks to the pesto reference on the side. Hope it works!
Thanks again!

kristim23
04-09-2009, 02:54 PM
As for the chicken plans- I have decided to use my 11 month old. I told my husband, "won't she be cute walking with a basket full of eggs?" I think that might work, but she has to learn to walk first! Oh well. I had my heart set on some buff, white, and black orpingtons, because they do well in the cold (I live in western PA) and they don't fly well ( so I read, anyway). If I start out with bantams, can I mix in heavy breeds later?

plantoneonme
04-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Hello, welcome to the board. I too want chickens but at this time it is not practical. I would suggest getting the most information you can, read, read, read! Learn all you can and then when you think you know enough, read some more. Then you will be able to present the idea to your husband and be able to answer any concerns he may have. Kim

MoniDew
04-17-2009, 09:55 PM
Welcome to the boards. If he's interested, have him join the boards too. These boards will make a chicken lover out of anyone!

gardengirl72
04-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Yes you can mix different size chickens together later. <ine are together right now and get along well.