PDA

View Full Version : Help building a duck pen/coop.

marcia
04-09-2009, 01:18 PM
I live in the city and was wondering if a chicken style coop can be built for ducks (I have 3)?:)

gardengirl72
04-09-2009, 02:23 PM
I tried ducks a while back and it was not successful. I raised 2 ducks for meat and they were delicious, but they were so messy & stinky & I never tried again. I just didn't have enough room for them. How do you manage with yours?

Fred's Fine Fowl
04-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Ducks inside a building are going to be a huge mess.

One duck is more of a maintenance headache than 20 chickens in my book.

They play in their water... often draining a 5 gallon drinker in 20 minutes.. splishing and splashing all over the substrate if inside. They have a very productive digestive system, so they are squirting with great regularity, normally right after you've opened the door for them to go outside... thanks! "squirt"... nice to see ya "squirt"... waddle waddle.....

My ducks are all free range and I can't imagine trying to keep them inside a coop. They do best outside and need an enclosure, a duck house, to protect them from night predators.

So, ducks in the city? Ummm, high maintenance to be sure. There are tiny ducks called calls. They are domestic and don't require much space, but if you are thinking of meat ducks like Pekin whites... you'll hate yourself when you see the mess they make and the smell that comes along with it.

This just my opinion of course.... you may just love having them! I do... just not inside any building.

Fred