PDA

View Full Version : On holiday-what happens to plants?

ecogirl
04-09-2009, 03:52 PM
I'm going on holiday for 9 days away from home. What should I do with the plants? They might die..argh! What shall I do??

Kevin
04-09-2009, 05:22 PM
Wow, a lot can happen in nine days, I'd find someone to come over and at least water them while your gone. My sons hate when we travel . There are plants to water and eggs to collect and chickens,rabbits and the weenie dog to feed.A month and a half ago, I was in new o'rleans, and it froze here in Tampa . Thank goodness my son Patrick was stopping in here. I would have lost 35 6ft tomato plants and at least 25 orchids . Luckily he was able to bring them all in the house. Kevin

Sinfonian
04-09-2009, 07:42 PM
If you can't find anyone to water, and no rain is forecast, and an extensive timer based drip system is not hooked up, then some self watering systems could work. Similar to clay pots in the ground, 2 liter bottles burried upside down can allow for the ground to drink what it needs.

Certainly not the perdect system, but it could save some plants. Of course if you are having the same weather we are (same climates), you can count on rain in the next two weeks.

Good luck and enjoy your holiday!

ecogirl
04-10-2009, 04:55 AM
Thanks for all your help! I have heard of all this automatic watering things. We might try them.

plantoneonme
04-10-2009, 08:37 PM
I have lots of access but you probably don't but I'll tell you about it anyway...I made a little ICU for my plants with recycled IV bags I collected from work. They are sterile and not too difficult to refill. The tubing has a roller ball that I opened to drip at a very slow rate. I used it on larger plants and not entire flats. I found it a nice way to water them and recycle at the same time.

Of course I was very careful to to collect any bags or tubing that might carry diseases. Kim