PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from the Pacific NW (Go Ducks!)

marcia
04-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Hello-
Getting back to basics. Having been raised in the shadow of the Santa Cruz Mountains on a small demonstration farm. We raised some 75 head of goats, a handful of sheep, 1 cow, various poultry, a watch-turkey, 3 dogs, 2 pigs, 1 horse, 13 mousers, and a race pony. Our garden was plentiful, and mother canned everything. As children we would go on these great adventures to visit and educate others on goat husbandry and small farming. We visited many communes in Northern and Southern California who were interested in turning small plots of land into sustainable communities. My mother was Martha before the Martha Show. My father, by day a math teacher, and by night water colorist. My parents ditched the city life after seeing the movie Heidi, hence the goats. My childhood snapshots are of schools busing rowdy children to visit what we had accomplished on a mere 2.25 acres. The farm faded away after 19 years. I went out into the big world, to discover after 30+ years I missed the quiet, simple life. Now I live in city with my family, attempting to capture what I enjoyed so much about my childhood.

Garden Green
04-11-2009, 10:36 PM
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like an adventurous childhood!

gardengirl72
04-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Welcome Marcia. Do you have any favorite vegetables or recipes from your childhood?

plantoneonme
04-17-2009, 08:06 PM
I am sure many of us would welcome some of your extensive knowledge on the forum. Welcome! Kim

MoniDew
04-17-2009, 09:53 PM
What an idyllic childhood you had! I'd love to hear more about it, in time.