PDA

View Full Version : Compost Bin Worms... collecting your own!

Fred's Fine Fowl
04-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Ok, so I've been collecting compost worms on my own for a long time...

How do I know they are the correct ones? Well, I have several methods and maybe all of them are wrong? One is to put out thick pads of news paper, then after a week, flipping them over and collecting the worms which are eating the paper... want worms that will eat paper in compost? Then get the ones which eat paper in the yard. Seems right to me...

Anyway, today it's raining and I like going outside after a rain, or during a drizzle and collecting worms from the drive way. I think all worms will eat compost to some degree, but others are better at it or do better when confined in a bin. I made this short video today, showing the worms I've been selecting from the pavement. Please look at it and tell me if I'm on the right track, or am I getting the wrong breed? I just can't bring myself to spend $25.00 for a pound of worms! So, I collect them, 60 to 100 at a time.

This is my video.. I hope you'll take a look:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZxYXcwcg_A

These are the worms I've been targeting for my compost bin in the kitchen. They do consume my materials, from banana peels to shredded news paper. So, it's working... I'm always wondering if there is a better worm out there! And of course, I don't want to buy them, I'd like to collect my own (">

I also find these same worms in chicken manure piles...

Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com

boyd3
04-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Fred, I've recently started raising Euro's vs. The Composting red worms. Reason being, I love fishing!! These guys aren't as large as Canadian night crawlers, but they don't need refrigeration. They eat the same sorts of food that the leaf worms or composting red worms do.

PS, they like chicken poo............

Kevin
04-15-2009, 08:57 PM
Hey Fred , Just a thought here .why don't you set up another bin and try both types . You could be throwing back some really good critters and not even realize it. I have been trying regular old fashioned fishing worms from the local feed store . But ,It is too early to tell how effective they are. I'm going to try that newspaper in the yard trick ,for sure . Thanks, Kevin

Fred's Fine Fowl
04-15-2009, 09:45 PM
Setting up comparison bins is a good science project...

For it to work though, I'd have to match worms pound for pound in each set up

have each set up in identical conditions/room temps

add same amendments in same quantities... one type of worm may eat more of one thing than another...

hmmm. will have to give it further thought. If conditions are not "matched" then the comparison will be easily challenged... I will include both types in my bin experiment to see where they tend to congregate and if one species focuses on one thing more than another.

It's all in fun... oh, and Annette noticed that I used her spatula! Trying to pick up worms from pavement with wet fingers just takes too long.

Kevin
04-16-2009, 10:08 AM
Setting up comparison bins is a good science project...

For it to work though, I'd have to match worms pound for pound in each set up

have each set up in identical conditions/room temps

add same amendments in same quantities... one type of worm may eat more of one thing than another...

hmmm. will have to give it further thought. If conditions are not "matched" then the comparison will be easily challenged... I will include both types in my bin experiment to see where they tend to congregate and if one species focuses on one thing more than another.

It's all in fun... oh, and Annette noticed that I used her spatula! Trying to pick up worms from pavement with wet fingers just takes too long.
Hey Fred , If you are really gonna do it, there is one more factor you might want to keep an eye on. One variety may be a lot more prolific than the other . that would really affect their efficiency as composters. Kevin