PDA

View Full Version : Soil problem

N-TEXgardenLGS
04-16-2009, 09:35 AM
Does anyone know if it is a problem to put a garden in where a swimming pool was. I had a swimming pool in this area for 8 years and then the area was domant with grass for 3 more. Well, I decided to put a garden in. This is an area prior to the pool was a small garden which had no problems, but last year after amendments it didn't do well at all. Should I give up on this area and just focus on the raised beds just starting this year in other parts of my yard?

Thanks,

N-TEXgardenLGS

MoniDew
04-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Is there even the slightest chance that some of the swimming pool chemicals seeped into that ground?

N-TEXgardenLGS
04-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Yes, I am sure of it because after 3 liners because of aged leaks so as you probably are asking also, the clorine was in the soil. I assume that this is very bad on the soil but after the 3 year dormant period and that the grass grew really well I thought it would be okay. What do you think

N-TEXgardenLGS

Sinfonian
04-16-2009, 12:51 PM
You could have the soil tested. Then you could work to correct the imbalance as necessary. Or you could just put raised beds over it like I did when I didn't like the soil I had to work with.

Good luck and keep looking for a way to grow your garden!

N-TEXgardenLGS
04-16-2009, 12:56 PM
I was leaning toward starting a raised bed over it too. Thanks for the imput.

Leanne

Kevin
04-17-2009, 12:32 AM
Hey Tex, After 3 years residual chlorine should not be a problem. But let me ask you this, When the pool was originally installed ,was a layer of builders sand placed on the ground to protect the liner. If so ,you may have to dig down to find decent soil.

N-TEXgardenLGS
04-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Yes, we put sugar sand to pad the liner but when I took the pool out I dug out at least 95% of the sand and filled with dirt from another part of the yard.

I was thinking that 3 years would be long enough too, so I guess the problem is directly related to the soil quality. I should test it but I think I will build another bed next year (as I have already planted this year) and start over. Should be interesting to see if I get anything this year. Fingers are crossed.

thanks,

Leanne

MoniDew
04-17-2009, 10:00 PM
Well, I was just going on the assumption that,

before pool - no problem,
post pool - problem,
MUST BE THE POOL. :o

Grass will grow where not much else will. But vegetables want good soil. And we want healthy vegetables. So, even if the chlorine has broken down in the soil, other swimming pool chemicals may not have. (MULTIPLE chemicals are used in swimming pools, not just chlorine.) For safety's sake, it's probably best to go with the raised beds. Why take chances with your health? Or your garden, for that matter?

N-TEXgardenLGS
04-17-2009, 11:11 PM
I agree. I think I will let what is planted in this area finish this year and then build a raised bed for this area after the growing season is over.

Thanks for all the input, it was extremely helpful.

Leanne