PDA

View Full Version : What are these green grubs?

alittletouched
04-16-2009, 11:50 AM
While digging up a garden bed I kept find big fat juicy green grubs. I didn't know if they were good or bad bugs, so I tossed them aside. I have tried searching for what they are online, but have had little luck. They look similar to June bug grubs, but they are greener, softer, and don't have the insect legs I've seen in images of those grubs. I will try to post up images of the next one I find to help identify. Thank you guys!

mattuu
04-20-2009, 08:39 PM
While digging up a garden bed I kept find big fat juicy green grubs. I didn't know if they were good or bad bugs, so I tossed them aside. I have tried searching for what they are online, but have had little luck. They look similar to June bug grubs, but they are greener, softer, and don't have the insect legs I've seen in images of those grubs. I will try to post up images of the next one I find to help identify. Thank you guys!

Well I have a theory. What are you growing where these green grubs are hiding away? some root vegetation give off dyes and colouring which may be helping to obscure what they actually are. Rootworm or Caterpillars will bury themselves if its too cold near the surface, so that adds another complication to the matter.

Or you could have fruitworms.
http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/grapeipm/green_fruitworms.htm

I'd say your best bet is to bottle one of these little fellas up and take it to your local library or university and see whether you can find out what it is based on where you sourced it from in your garden. Most of these insects are fairly harmless but I wouldn't leave it if you've noticed your plants are looking a little droopy all the sudden, as they may be giving off some poisonous residues.

Regards,
Matt
Gourmet Delights