PDA

View Full Version : Anybody sell their pasture-raised products?

MoniDew
04-16-2009, 11:50 AM
Does anyone here sell (online, through the mail, etc) their pasture-raised poultry, beef, lamb, or other products?
I'm looking for free-range, organic, grass-fed, etc.
If frozen SOLID and shipped in the proper container, I would be very interested in purchasing these types of products (until I figure out how to do-it-myself :rolleyes:)

Also, since I happen to NOT be so good with animals, and perhaps a little better with other things, I would consider a "swap" (tea, knitting, whatever I've got that you want.)

Fred's Fine Fowl
04-16-2009, 01:21 PM
I think you are going to end up paying huge $$$ for those items shipped via the mail.

Let's take eggs for example... two dozen eggs, $6.00 free range jumbos
Shipping USPS Priority Mail with bubble packaging $12.00 - $14.00 depending

So, you've possibly paid $20.00 for two dozen eggs.

A frozen chicken, let's say a fat five pounder! $6.75 dressed out
USPS Shipping Priority Mail, again $15.70 triple bagged frozen.

So, in this case you've bought one chicken for $22.45

Consider locating a free range cattle owner, chicken wrangler or hog host.

Then contact that person to see if you can go in on feed and housing/ranging costs. This is common when it comes to pork or beef. The owner will parcel off percentages of each animal on the hoof. Expenses are shared and everyone benefits.

How do you find someone like this? Put an add in your paper under items wanted. Buy local, I always say. This way you can visit the site and see how the animals are kept. Know who you are supporting.

Ed Bagely Jr. received chicken eggs from my friend Tommy Garrett and flipped out over all the bubble wrap (individually packed) and the cost of shipping them.. his wife Rachel laughed about it... It's just not a very conservative method of receiving food items. I have a friend who is a private chef, he likes my eggs, but he's also basically on an unlimited budget... scope out his book http://www.theprivatechef.com/ Richard has been here a couple of times and likes the way we live. There is nothing like free range eggs for the discriminating culinary artist! But if you're mailing it.. expect to pay out big $$$

Best of luck to you!

Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com

MoniDew
04-18-2009, 10:29 AM
ah, okay. Thank you. I guess I just haven't looked hard enough at what is available locally (that really is the quality I want.) This being Oklahoma, people are pretty deeply entrenched in the conventional ways. Not too educated yet on the organic/natural/free range/etc ways to do things (myself included.)

plantoneonme
04-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Check out eat wild dot com at the following link for producers of grass fed beef in your state. Kim
http://www.eatwild.com/products/oklahoma.html