View Full Version : Cilantro Seeds question

04-16-2009, 03:33 PM
I need your opinion...

I started a pot of cilantro seedlings. Of ALL the ones I put in there, JUST ONE PLANT!:eek:

My mom mentioned to me that those seeds are hard and that some people leave them in water for one day and then they sow them!

Has anyone tried this?

04-17-2009, 10:20 AM
Sorry, can't help directly with cilantro, but I soak peas and beans for that reason, and to hydrate them.

I have read that it isn't bad to soak most seeds before planting, but I haven't bothered. So it can't hurt.

Good luck.

04-17-2009, 11:32 AM
sure couldn't hurt! and, btw, cilantro comes from places in the world that have a very warm climate. If they aren't getting enough warmth and light, that can affect your success, too.

04-19-2009, 11:54 PM
So, I gave the cilantro seeds another try. I didn't soak them but I put new seeds, water them and put the cling paper on top. This time I am not taking it out until I see lots of seedlings! >:( lol Last time I took the cling paper out when I saw one seedling, maybe that's why the others didn't sprouted. They were not as humid. Let's see.

04-20-2009, 08:33 PM
I found a trick to get some very finicky seeds to sprout in case replanting doesn't work for you. I was given 8 seeds of a very special tomato seed that just would not sprout. I was told to make a tea of worm castings and warm water and let cool to room temperature then the put the seeds into the tea and soak overnight...It worked great!!! I was able to get my last 2 seeds to sprout so it looks like I will get to taste that tomato this year. Kim

04-22-2009, 09:53 AM
Now that's weird because my cilantro reseeds like mad. It's in all the beds and the lawn. (Always smells like Mexican food when I mow that area.) Do you have a warm spot to put the pot. Maybe it's the soil temp of the pot.

04-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Leydaleon,Since you posted this, I tried a little experiment of my own, on this . I have been planning on growing cilantro myself this year.Anyway I used grocery store corriander as seed . Corriander is the seed of the cilantro plant.I soaked these seeds for two days until they would no longer float . I then put them into an old traditional hippie bean sprouter ,.Check out this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-1V4vtV8Yo After 5 days 50% of the seed has sprouted and is ready to plant. Hope this helps , Kevin

04-24-2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks Kevin! I will sure try that if this time doesn't work...:D