PDA

View Full Version : Cilantro Seeds question

leydaleon
04-16-2009, 03:33 PM
I need your opinion...

I started a pot of cilantro seedlings. Of ALL the ones I put in there, JUST ONE PLANT!:eek:

My mom mentioned to me that those seeds are hard and that some people leave them in water for one day and then they sow them!

Has anyone tried this?

Sinfonian
04-17-2009, 10:20 AM
Sorry, can't help directly with cilantro, but I soak peas and beans for that reason, and to hydrate them.

I have read that it isn't bad to soak most seeds before planting, but I haven't bothered. So it can't hurt.

Good luck.

MoniDew
04-17-2009, 11:32 AM
sure couldn't hurt! and, btw, cilantro comes from places in the world that have a very warm climate. If they aren't getting enough warmth and light, that can affect your success, too.

leydaleon
04-19-2009, 11:54 PM
So, I gave the cilantro seeds another try. I didn't soak them but I put new seeds, water them and put the cling paper on top. This time I am not taking it out until I see lots of seedlings! >:( lol Last time I took the cling paper out when I saw one seedling, maybe that's why the others didn't sprouted. They were not as humid. Let's see.

plantoneonme
04-20-2009, 08:33 PM
I found a trick to get some very finicky seeds to sprout in case replanting doesn't work for you. I was given 8 seeds of a very special tomato seed that just would not sprout. I was told to make a tea of worm castings and warm water and let cool to room temperature then the put the seeds into the tea and soak overnight...It worked great!!! I was able to get my last 2 seeds to sprout so it looks like I will get to taste that tomato this year. Kim

shebear
04-22-2009, 09:53 AM
Now that's weird because my cilantro reseeds like mad. It's in all the beds and the lawn. (Always smells like Mexican food when I mow that area.) Do you have a warm spot to put the pot. Maybe it's the soil temp of the pot.

Kevin
04-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Leydaleon,Since you posted this, I tried a little experiment of my own, on this . I have been planning on growing cilantro myself this year.Anyway I used grocery store corriander as seed . Corriander is the seed of the cilantro plant.I soaked these seeds for two days until they would no longer float . I then put them into an old traditional hippie bean sprouter ,.Check out this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-1V4vtV8Yo After 5 days 50% of the seed has sprouted and is ready to plant. Hope this helps , Kevin

leydaleon
04-24-2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks Kevin! I will sure try that if this time doesn't work...:D