PDA

View Full Version : Root Cellar Alternatives ??

gingersnaphollow
04-16-2009, 09:03 PM
I need an alternative to the normal root cellar. I live in Georgia- On hard pack clay- In a home that is not my forever home.
Are there any alternatives to keeping my potatoes, carrots, and squashes over the winter? As it stands now, my potatoes are growing in my pantry. I can't keep them cold enough!
Thank you for your help in advance,
Angela

Sinfonian
04-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Saw this on a PBS special called Alone in the Wilderness (amazing documentary btw). He dug a hole 6 inches below the frost line and stored his veggies there. He covered it with a moss lid.

You may be able to do something like that on the shade side of your foundation. Just a thought.

As for your growing potatoes, plant them. Can't hurt.

Good luck.

plantoneonme
04-17-2009, 07:50 PM
I once saw a suggestion to dig large holes to hold trash cans. You have to place a thick layer of sawdust or peat into the bottom of the can and then layer your vegetables alternating with a dry material such as newspaper balled up. You have to make sure no water can get inside or the area does not flood. Also you will probably have to lay on the ground to get to things in the bottom of the can. It is good as a temporary solution. Of course you live in a climate that stays much warmer than here in Michigan so I am not completely sure it would work. Kim

Garden Green
04-18-2009, 11:18 PM
We did the trash bins in the ground when I was young. I wouldn't recommend plastic, too easy for burrowing critters to chew through. The metal ones work nicely and it was layered with the potatoes and then we just used a pad of hay on the bottom and then as dividers.

Though, this doesn't stop all animals. We eventually had to stop because something kept getting into them no matter what measure we took to deter them. But that was years ago. Now with some many things geared towards that type of storage I'm sure there is something out there that works well.

Kevin
04-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Hey Angela,I've got the same problem down here in florida , Too hot for a traditional root cellar. The only alternatives I know of are a spring house (IF you have a deep water well ) or cooking your root crops and pressure canning them.

gingersnaphollow
04-27-2009, 08:55 PM
Thank you for your suggestions!
Maybe I could just put a can in the far corner in my garage.
I am not sure I can dig down far enough through our hard clay- and space is limited in my little yard.
Thank you again- I love this forum!
Angela