PDA

View Full Version : Seed Saving

plantoneonme
09-14-2008, 01:04 PM
I started saving seeds this year with a great deal of success. I think saving seeds is just another level of self-sustainability. Some things I saved on purpose, such as tomatoes and a few hid themselves long enough that I figured what the heck, I might as well try.

If you are interested in learning more, check out this website...

http://www.seedsave.org/issi/issi_904.html

Kim

gardengirl72
09-14-2008, 02:08 PM
Kim, when you really think about it, seed saving is probably the most important part of all agriculture. Not to be dramatic, but in a not to distant Post Peak Oil world, in the part I call the energy interegnum(when oil is very expensive and other energy sources have yet to come on line affordably) when seed saving will be a matter of life and death for some. I think you are right, that it is a critical component to urban/suburban/rural sustainable living.

Not only is it important for the future, it allows you to develop your own Heirloom Variety of plant that fits your specific weather, soil and light conditions.

I am so inspired that I think I will have to try and squeeze into the shooting schedule a seed saving video.

I wonder how many other people are saving their own seeds?

plantoneonme
09-14-2008, 05:34 PM
I am so glad you agree. As a matter of fact, I was going to suggest a video...those great minds LOL.

My seed saving adventure started out so simple it was ridiculous. I grew some sugar baby watermelon this year that fought off cold spring rains and still produced some nice little melons. When we ate one for dinner we "spit" the seeds onto our plates and I simply rinsed them off, let dry and put into envelopes...how simple is that!

My runner beans (one of my favs now) kinda did themselves. I planted some along a fence that I could not reach all the beans...grew and dried themselves.

Tomatoes take just a tad more work in that you put the seeds and goo into a cup, put in a little water, cover and let ferment a few days. Then you simply rinse and dry.

One thing to keep in mind is that some plants will readily cross such as musk melons with other musk melons (but not watermelons) and watermelons with other watermelons. You can either grow one variety or in my case I grow 2 or 3 of the same and hope for a happy cross.

Guess what I am saying, you can start as simple or complex as you like. Either way you are learning to save a little piece of your own world.

Kim

plantoneonme
09-14-2008, 06:14 PM
One last rambling post then I must get some sleep...

Quick background. Husband has been medically disabled for the past 7 years. My son is raising a family on $8 an hour (the economy in Mich stinks). Our other children are struggling and at times need help. I work full-time with a healing shoulder injury and hope day to day it doesn't give out. OK, I am not whining. I am actually extremely THANKFUL for all we have.

Now the reason behind my short story...To be honest, my entire family was struggling to make ends meet this spring. I was extremely fortunate to find a small group of people who simply wanted to make other's lives a little easier. They collect and distribute seeds to anyone who has a need. We had a need, they gave freely.

Now I can give back. I saved the seeds I will use next year and sent the rest to this group. It is amazing how something so simple can actually change the world one person at a time. They helped us and now we can help others.

If you are interested in donating seeds either saved or left-overs please PM me and I will pass on the organizers email addy.

Kim

gardengirl72
09-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Having thought about all this I think I will start a seed exchange forum.

plantoneonme
09-16-2008, 01:00 AM
Thats great. I love sharing.

AbbeyLehman
09-18-2008, 04:29 PM
I have quite a few leftovers, but I'm not sure what the germination rates will be...Would someplace like that accept older seeds?