PDA

View Full Version : SEE free ranging chickens of various breeds... in my yard (">

Fred's Fine Fowl
04-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Hi everyone, things aren't really growing around here yet, and my garden is still being worked over by my flock.

I've posted a video so curious folks can see a few of the breeds I keep here.
If you like chickens, you'll enjoy it, IF you're not a chicken person? You'll pass out and fall off your computer chair from boredom (">

Breeds in the video:

Buff Cochin Bantam
Black Sumarta
Barred Plymouth Rock
Rhode Island Red
Black Rose Comb
Black Hamburg
Silver Phoenix
Ameraucana
Bearded Belgian d'Uccle booted bantams
Partridge Plymouth Rock bantams
Gray Pearl Guineas
Lavender Guineas

Those are just the breeds which make an appearance on this video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7M3WbIemi4

Hope you enjoy the view....

Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com

ecogirl
04-21-2009, 02:40 PM
so cute! And that is a looooot you got there!:eek:

James
04-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Now Fred, you are getting me upset. As I Am out of the poultry , line for A while due to work.. but really I think its great you have them.. good luck

birthblessed
04-25-2009, 04:59 PM
Thank you; we enjoyed watching.

One thing we've been looking for-- and we looked on your site to no success-- is a site that has pictures of birds at different ages. And different breeds at different ages, to compare them.

We have 3 barred rocks, 3 americaunas and one that the tag said Ideal 37. She was what the lady offered my daughter who said she wanted white eggs. :)

I assume when we bought them Mar 20 they were just a few days old? They have doubled in size twice since then! They are at least half the size I expect them to be when they are full grown.

Aspen
04-25-2009, 09:17 PM
Oh, they all look so happy, out doing their chicken things. Beautiful birds.

I had to laugh, when the rooster crowed by dog came running over to see what was going on!

Fred's Fine Fowl
04-26-2009, 03:29 PM
My first recommendation for identifying your chicks or intermediate birds, would be simply to log on to www.McMurrayHatchery.com and click on each breed they handle. They generally show a chick of the same breed for your comparison and identification when they arrive.

If you have a hybrid (white egg layer) then you won't necessarily see examples of this bird in it's intermediate form/feathering.

Some chicks, even from very different breeds do look similar when they are young. Some very easy, others more of a challenge. I would go back to the seller and ask what that particular breed is. If they don't know what breeds they sell? I wouldn't buy from them. (">

Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com

MoniDew
04-27-2009, 10:35 AM
beautiful site to see! it all looks so peaceful! Thanks for the primer on chicken identification, as well.

BTW: I love the percussion background music (in most of your videos, I believe)

Fred's Fine Fowl
04-27-2009, 12:34 PM
I'm so glad you find viewing this footage to be peaceful...

The percussion in the background, though it sounds like others I've used before, is fresh for this vid. I went from South American, to Africa to Asia in rhythmic flavor... trying to tie in the sounds with the breed showing at the time... {"> seriously, who has time to do that?!

When I do my update on the Emus... you'll hear Australian background and of course, the didgeridoo... who could watch Australian birds without that very regional sound? In fact, I'm in the market for a Aboriginal didgeridoo so I can learn to play it while sitting on my back deck.

Have a great week!

Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com

Garden Green
04-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Very cool, Fred. I really learn a lot from your videos every time I watch them. Thanks for producing them!