PDA

View Full Version : Can you make 'too much dirt'?

alittletouched
04-20-2009, 08:02 PM
I know it's a really bizarre question, but it just occurred to me. I've gone the route of the very poor gardener and am using my own existing soil with amendments, using organic fertilizers for getting my initial crops all the nutrients they need. I expected the result of double-digging and adding in copious amounts of compost would to fluff it all up to the rim of my 2x6 boards, but it didn't. It's very thin indeed. I consoled myself by saying that over some time that it would fill up more, as manures, composts, and organic matter are added in along the way. However, I just now thought: But adding those things might not bulk it up at all, it may only be replenishing what's being used and it may never be more full than it is now without an effort. Is this true? Do you guys ever find yourself getting "too much" soil in your beds for them to hold? I only ask because I want to plan for bulking the beds up in the future if it's not the case. Thanks, guys!

plantoneonme
04-20-2009, 08:36 PM
I was able to make a fair amount of compost last year to add to my existing beds...and yes it will add to the amount in the bed. I had one bed that I had unfortunately put in some very poor soil and took out a large amount and added the compost. That bed is now full and the soil I removed has been amended and added to the bottom of a new bed I am building this year. Eventually your beds will become thicker with soil but how fast depends on how much you are able to add. Kim

Sinfonian
04-21-2009, 11:58 AM
I'd say if you double dug your beds and amended them like KitsapFG suggests, you will be fine. The growing material extends about a foot beneath the bed.

That said, in my opinion, adding finished (aged) compost to a bed, especially one comprised of native soil, can be a very good thing. Either use it as a mulch after plants have grown, or use it to amend between plantings, depending when your compost is ready.

That's my thought. Good luck!