PDA

View Full Version : Growing Gandules - a.k.a. Pigeon Peas

GardenGroupie
04-21-2009, 11:32 PM
Dear Patti Moreno,

As a fellow Puerto Rican having grown up in NYC I wonder if you too were brought up eating Arroz con Gandules? I absolutely LOVE it and can probably make that my one and only dish to live on.

I've searched the net and happily found Pigeon Pea seeds and will attempt to grow them this year as any other annual bean (they produce as 3yr perennials in the tropics).

Any chance you ever attempted to grow them yourself? You're in Boston and have a bit longer growing season than I do (I'm in Central VT). Would love to know if you ever tried it or know someone who did.

Gandules is such a staple in Puerto Rican food I had to ask! :-)

Thanks for such a fantastic site. Your offer a wealth of info - thanks so much!

Loida, the Garden Groupie

Kevin
04-22-2009, 02:05 PM
Hey Loida, We eat pigeon peas on a regular basis here. My wife is of cuban descent, and her best friend is puerto rican. Obviously ,I eat pretty damn well. Thank you for posting this .I had no idea gandules could be grown as a perrenials. We'll be planting some this week. Good Luck , Kevin

GardenGroupie
04-22-2009, 03:25 PM
Hi Kevin,

I gather you found seeds already! I look forward to hearing how they grow for you. With you being in Florida you may be able to keep the plants alive and producing for three years.

Good luck to you too. Thanks for the reply.

Kevin
04-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Hi Kevin,

I gather you found seeds already! I look forward to hearing how they grow for you. With you being in Florida you may be able to keep the plants alive and producing for three years.

Good luck to you too. Thanks for the reply.

Hey Loida, Actually I was planning on sprouting some grocery store beans , if that doesn't work, our local feed store should either have them or be able to get them. Thanks again for the info.Recently ,one of our main garden projects , has been to locate perrenial food plants suitable for our climate here in florida.Kevin

gardengirl72
04-23-2009, 03:42 PM
My dad in Florida grow them very well. They end up having sooooo much. Do you have a greenhouse up in VT? Please post photos on your progress and a recipe. I've been trying to make perfect arroz con gandules forever, I even have my Grandmothers pots. Mines edible, but always seems to be lacking something. I don't think I put in enough oil, fat, grease, or something... It is my husband's favorite puertorican dish with pernil of course...Thanks for your Support!

Kevin
04-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Hey Loida, I have done a little research on this ,since you first posted it. It turns out ,the dry "Goya" grocery store beans , may or may not be perrenial. I did however locate a source of the true perrenial variety. Echo , the world hunger site has them available http://echobooks.org/index.php?cPath=25_68 I ordered these and believe it or not a perrenial lima bean. I can't thank you enough for originally posting this, Kevin