PDA

View Full Version : seed swap

rdsaltpower
09-15-2008, 08:56 PM
This sounds like a good idea. I would be interested in sharing and swapping seeds.

Ani
09-15-2008, 11:26 PM
This is a great idea! Can I just offer up some seeds for swap?

Does anyone know if they get zapped in the mail, or if we can put them in an ordinary envelope?

plantoneonme
09-16-2008, 01:09 AM
I have traded seeds extensively through the mail and have learned a lot...

1) very few seeds can be sent in standard envelopes that will not be harmed by the rollers used by the PO to process mail...the only ones I know of that are not harmed are tomato seeds and ground cherries, even seeds as small as poppy seeds can be crushed.

2) it is standard to send seeds in Bubble envelopes. Depending on how many you send it will cost from $0.83 and up. I try to send out larger trades to make it worth my while unless there is something I really want and cannot get elsewhere. I sent off a 6x9 bubbly to someone who collects seeds and sends them out to those in need free of charge. The envelope was as full as I could get it and the cost was $2.19.

3) I have traded seeds and given and received seeds for postage only. It is nice to give some for a postage (self addressed bubble envelope SABE) to help those new to trading get a few things.

4) it is nice to list both what you have to offer and what you hope for in return

5) most importantly, have fun!!!

Kim

Ani
09-16-2008, 12:07 PM
What quantity of seeds do people typically offer to swap? I have tons of radish seeds - like.. the better part of a pound.

Yomolove
09-16-2008, 12:44 PM
I would love to get some seeds from you. I dont have any at the moment... but I will soon... maybe peppers,cherry tomato,cucs. Let me know that you think

plantoneonme
09-16-2008, 02:38 PM
What quantity of seeds do people typically offer to swap? I have tons of radish seeds - like.. the better part of a pound.

It depends on the seeds. For heirloom tomatoes I usually like 6 of each variety. I grow in a small space and would rather have a variety then a lot of one type. Radishes I would say around 25 because they can be planted over and over. Melons, cucumbers and other vining crops I usually trade 5-10. Honestly, it really depends on what you and your partner are happy with.

Kim

plantoneonme
09-16-2008, 02:43 PM
I would like to send out these little fruits to those interested. I purchased the seed from this Seed Savers Exchange (www.seedsavers.org) this spring. They are also known as Poha in Hawaii.

http://www.seedsavers.org/prodinfo.asp?number=912(OG)

(Physalis pruinosa) Ground cherries were recorded as early as 1837 in Pennsylvania. This outstanding Polish variety is prized for its clean flavor. Fruits are

Golem in the Gears
09-16-2008, 07:29 PM
I would like to send out these little fruits to those interested. I purchased the seed from this Seed Savers Exchange (www.seedsavers.org) this spring. They are also known as Poha in Hawaii.

http://www.seedsavers.org/prodinfo.asp?number=912(OG)

(Physalis pruinosa) Ground cherries were recorded as early as 1837 in Pennsylvania. This outstanding Polish variety is prized for its clean flavor. Fruits are

I'm interested..I'm just getting into the garden seen and this seed save/swap thing sounds fun.. I dont have anything to trade tho :(

plantoneonme
09-17-2008, 01:56 AM
I'm interested..I'm just getting into the garden seen and this seed save/swap thing sounds fun.. I dont have anything to trade tho :(

No need to swap on this one...these are on me.

Kim

Golem in the Gears
09-17-2008, 05:10 PM
No need to swap on this one...these are on me.

Kim

Sweet! I'll PM ya an addy :)

AbbeyLehman
09-18-2008, 05:00 PM
I have some Nasturtium seeds....I will send them out on me, but I'm also looking for one or two bulbs of an out-of-the-ordinary garlic to try out......

gardengirl72
09-21-2008, 05:48 PM
I think we should establish a seed swap process. We should post what we are offering or needing and then PM each other and send self addressed stamped envelopes that have bubble wrap in them.

Having said that: Next week I will have some Pepper seeds and Some tomato seeds. The tomato's are very much mutt's but with some of the Tiffen Menonite Genes from my Almost Record Tomato.

Yomolove
09-23-2008, 10:52 AM
can anyone tell me what would be the best time to start the ground cherries.... I have the planting bug right now... and dont know what to do first.

1. finish making trellises from the limbs in my mini forest, eventually I want to clear it out and make room for more planting area.

2. Making the plywood trellises for my beans... 4 of them.

3. finish turning over the back breaking beds.

I will also search to see what the ground cherries really look like.

toodles

gardengirl72
09-23-2008, 10:59 AM
I have never done ground cherries.

1. Ignore the beds, start adding organic matter and worms, but leave it alone.

2. Build the trellis, what are you using the plywood for? Lightweight wood is best and easy to find.

Let me know.

P

Yomolove
09-23-2008, 11:52 AM
I am using the 2x4's b/c I have them... I wanted to create a trellis to keep my beans growing up...I didnt do so so well with them... Its my first garden and I am learning.

I wanna be ready for the summer and produce more beans.

I thought we had to clean the old roots from the beds and add more leaves and good things... Like worms. I need the worms... trying to find the money at the moment.

Oh, I wanted to tell you the marigolds I bought from you, did very well... they even planted themselves again... and I need to ask you... should I leave them in the bed or plant them indoors in pots.. they are babies right now.

gardengirl72
09-23-2008, 02:03 PM
I am so happy the plants made it! My theory is do what you can. Any structure will be good for the beans. It doesn't matter what it looks like. So really, just have fun. Only do what feels like fun, otherwise it will feel like work.

plantoneonme
09-24-2008, 03:42 AM
Treat the ground cherries just as you would a tomato plant. Kim

Sinfonian
09-30-2008, 11:50 PM
I've never swapped seeds online before, I've received some cantaloupe and marigolds from a garden buddy, but as I'm new to this whole garden thing I don't have an abundance of seeds (I bought sample packets this spring). However, I did set up a lunch and trade with a garden buddy from Seattle earlier this year. That's how I got my pickling cukes that have been so prolific. I think it's loads of fun to trade seeds and get to know other gardeners!