PDA

View Full Version : Wild blue eggs

kristim23
04-26-2009, 02:04 PM
Hi everyone! This morning my husband uncovered two small blue eggs while mowing the lawn. One was on the ground, the other ten feet away and around the side of my shed, on cement. No nest, or hole, just sitting in the grass. I picked one up, and now it is with the other. I know better than to pick it up, but at first I thought it was only part of a shell. Have I ruined everything??? :eek: Neighbor thinks they are killdeer eggs, but not sure. I took a picture of them on my cell, but not sure how to get it from my email to here. Should I let them alone? Or put them in incubator?

MoniDew
04-26-2009, 02:12 PM
always a tricky situation! kildeer eggs look like stones (never seen a blue one) and are often found on the ground, unguarded. We have one in our neighborhood that lays its eggs in the stone/gravel just outside of the corner gas station. You can't tell those things are eggs! And the only way I knew was I saw the parent trying to hatch the stones - until they hatched!

My line of thinking on this is keep an eye out for the parent bird. if they return to the egg - they're still in charge. If you don't see a parent within say 24 hours, you'll have to be in charge.

kristim23
04-26-2009, 04:48 PM
Monidew,
Thanks! I have been watching them all day, and haven't seen any birds. I have an incubator, but if I need to use it, not sure what temp to use, etc. They are very bright blue-green, and about as long as a quarter, and very pointy at one end. I am wondering if these are the first eggs of a young robin. I live in west PA, and robins are the only birds here I know of that lay blue eggs. I'll keep watching!
Kristi

MoniDew
04-27-2009, 10:22 AM
the size, shape, and color say "robin" to me too. If you don't see momma soon, pro'ly ought to keep them warm...