PDA

View Full Version : Recommend your favorite gardening book

wyogardener
04-27-2009, 12:42 AM
I've got an amazon.com gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket - anyone care to recommend their favorite (veggie) gardening books?

Cynthia
04-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Patti has several books listed on the Library link.

I really love:
the edible garden
four season harvest

There is a local author - Howard Garrett whose books I really trust. He is a big part of the organics movement in Texas.

Kevin
04-27-2009, 11:41 AM
My most recent Favorite , would have to be:"Seed to Seed" by Suzanne Ashworth,

Garden Green
04-27-2009, 10:34 PM
Square Foot Gardening - Mel Bartholomew
You Grow Girl - Gayla Trail
The Gardener's A-Z Guide to Growing Organic Food - Tanya L. K. Denckla

I also enjoyed Four Season Harvest by Eliot Coleman and I've got my eye on The Vegetable Garden Bible by Edward C. Smith (hint hint, anyone have a book review on this one?)

KalenaPlants
05-02-2009, 07:01 PM
For me:

All New Square Foot Gardening: Mel Bartholomew
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: Barbara Kingsolver with Stephen Hopp and Camille Kingsolver

I'm a new veggie gardener and these books helped to take the edge off of my anxiety.

pakrat
05-04-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm new and am wondering if Garden Girl has written a book on urban sustainable gardens?

flatlander
05-06-2009, 08:31 PM
While not a "how to" book, Kingsolvers "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" is one of the best books I've read in years.

riskybidnes
05-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Deer proofing your yard and garden by Rhonda Massingham Hart
Got this book at the public library. Very detailed about how to keep pesky deer out of your garden. Good read.

Vegetable gardening : from planting to picking : the complete guide to creating a bountiful garden by Jane Courtier and Fern Marshall Bradley
Got this at library as well. Lots of great pictures and plant listings.

All new square foot gardening by Mel Bartholomew
Bought this after starting my garden, wish I had it before I started. Love this book, it is like my handbook to gardening in by backyard.

The Vegetable Gardener's Bible By Edward C. Smith
Very nice book. Beautiful pictures, detailed plant listings, and how to's of gardening. I am very pleased with the purchae of this book, it has taught me a whole lot I did not know before.