PDA

View Full Version : Swine flu

ecogirl
04-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Have you heard about the news of swine flu! Luckily I don't own pigs! But this can spread. In the UK, it has been discovered that 2 people who have come back from holiday in Mexico have had swine flu but are now recovering well. I really am scared if I get swine flu! Eek! What are your feelings? Are you scared?

Fred's Fine Fowl
04-27-2009, 10:23 PM
This is a big test for the CDC and WHO...

We have watched swine for many reasons. I'm not going to lecture here, so no need to take notes :}

When I studied H5N1, Avian Influenza, the concerns regarding bird to human transmission are virtually non-existent and that meant that reasonable precautions, when handling dead animals (I'm on the reaction team for my State) were enough. This is because avian pathogens are far different than those which threaten humans...

Now... let's introduce the pig. It's a BIG deal... potentially... swine are a mixing pot and this is bad. We can indeed become ill from pigs and they from us. Where birds were concerned... again, the swine could contract a disease unique to birds... annnnd also human pathogens in one animal. That's a highly unlikely event, but IF, this were the case, then you would indeed potentially have human strains of the highly pathogenic influenza strains.

I don't know how many of you kept up on the studies and press on avian influenza, so I'll give a re-cap quickly here... the youngest and strongest were most at risk, while those with reduced immune systems could pull through. This is true also of the swine flue, the stronger your immune system is, the more dramatically your body will respond. Any new strain of influenza that your body is attacked by, that which your defenses don't recognize, will result in an all out defensive response... diarrhea, vomiting and running nose, dizziness... every exit you have will be in use... this is why someone in supreme health will even have fluid in their lunges (pneumonia) and why they would be in the most danger... as it would dehydrate the body so quickly. Respiratory distress also a big issue.

Now, this is "swine" flu... mutation is the concern... it will strengthen, or weaken... wash your hands and don't touch your nose, eyes or mouth after shaking hands with someone else.. it's that simple.

I believe there is a Doctor in the forum somewhere?

Anyway, pay attention to the strains they cite... if you hear about H3 and H2 strains that's bad enough, but if it moves to the H5N1.. in swine and spreads to humans via that vehicle.... Oy.... don't even want to think about it. First it would be swine to human, then human to human (evidence of mutation and a human strain)

So, chicken to human, no biggie... now, chicken to pig to human... indescribable in its potential. I've seen the outbreak models... you know, how quickly something from Hong Kong could spread worldwide? Faster than you can imagine.

If you think you've been exposed, you'll know by your symptoms within 48 hours.

Oh and don't worry... yes you can eat pork if you want... cooked food is fine and will be. It's those who handle living animals and really bad for those who handle swine and birds on the same operation. All the elements are there. People who handle pigs and birds in the same location have indeed become ill in the past.

Should you be scared? No... why be fearful of something you don't control? Common sense, good hygiene and maybe if the CDC puts it out then.. wear a face mask so if someone coughs or sneezes on you, you won't breathe it in.

Remember, all those who have become ill here in the U.S., have recovered just as with any other influenza... Tami-flu is the med of choice. Tomorrow may bring something new...

That's all I have to say.. for now.

Fred

Disclaimer... I am not a DR. Only a Rescue Diver, Emergency Medical Technician, Poultry Technician and all around chicken nut. So, I am not giving out personal medical advise.

www.FredsFineFowl.com

Garden Green
04-27-2009, 10:44 PM
Well said Fred. I agree with Fred. If it comes, it comes, handle it when it gets here. If it doesn't come, you didn't waste your energy on it. Could it be a problem? Yep. Could it spread? Yep. Will it? Who knows. We'll educate ourselves in defense and then go about life. =)

ecogirl
04-28-2009, 03:04 AM
I agree to both, if we don't have this flu: don't worry-don't fear! We are already doing enough preparations so if you do get it-do something about it!

Kittikity
04-28-2009, 07:29 AM
Carry a bottle of hand sanitizer around with you..

ecogirl
04-29-2009, 02:45 AM
hmm..this is good- a hand sanitizer!

leydaleon
04-29-2009, 01:13 PM
Fred you made me laugh with the disclaimer...

Another way to deal with ANY flu is using essential oils. I am a huge fan. Some have anti-bacteria, anti-viral, anti-ceptic properties.

Today I wrote a post about in my blog.

My Disclaimer: I am not a Dr. or Aromatherapist. I am a Mom, a professional and have used Essential oils for about... eh... 15 years? yeah.. 15 years for personal use. So, I just speak out of experience! :) and passion :)

MoniDew
04-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Thank you so much for such useful information! I have saved it!!!

Aspen
04-30-2009, 09:30 PM
Seasonal flu kills about 36,000 people a year. This flu may or may not be as virulent. There is no vaccine as yet. Good hygiene, mainly handwashing, is the best way to prevent the spread of this virus. If you cough or sneeze, do so into your elbow, not your hand. Use alcohol gel when you can't wash your hands.

The media has been both informative and fear-mongering. Healthy people, while they may contract this disease, are not likely to die from it.

If you think you have this flu, see your physician immediately. Our physicians are the front line in helping the CDC and WHO track this illness.

You cannot get swine flu from eating pork.

Check out the info at www.cdc.gov.