PDA

View Full Version : Soil/Chicken Beds Have I misunderstood?

jstar
04-27-2009, 06:17 PM
Reading somewhere on these threads that chicken manure can spread ecoli and it is advised not to based on Mel's book?

My dh built 2 raised beds, 4' x 8' last fall and a chicken tractor for 4 hens to set on top. Hens stayed in each for 3 months, currently in one now. Planned to pull off chickens and plant it right away.

Bed 1 held the chickens, added straw as chickens needed. While Bed 2 was layered with cardboard (lasagna style) peat moss, top soil from store, leaves, grass clippings.

After 3 months. Chickens moved over Bed 2 where fresh straw and grass clippings added. I added peat, leaves, topsoil, in layers to Bed 1 and when free ranging the chickens tilled it.

Can I plant in these now with the addition of a couple inches of top soil?

Star

alittletouched
04-28-2009, 09:18 PM
What I have gathered from Miss Patti and other research, chicken manure burns plants and needs to age, just like horse or cow manure. It's just too powerful at that stage. I believe that you are supposed to allow beds to 'lie fallow', meaning let them age for some time before planting anything in them. If it were me, I would definitely not plant anything in a bed chickens were on for at least six months.

Sabbath
04-28-2009, 10:49 PM
REALLY? That seems like an awfully long time. Maybe it's just me.

Sinfonian
04-29-2009, 01:56 AM
I too have heard here that chicken manure needs to age. However, that is contrary to something I read a while ago. I had it in my mind that since chickens only have one void material it is a neutral material. My guess from the experts here that my information was wrong. Thankfully I've never had chicken manure to make that mistake.

Maybe Fred, Patti or someone else can clarify this.

Thanks

Fred's Fine Fowl
04-29-2009, 06:50 AM
This is my explanation on how to use chicken manure in the garden...

I never age my manure, but it is mixed with pine shavings and dries on the surface before being amended.

This is also why I don't use the "droppings pit" method of gathering manure in the coops. My birds are all litter raised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljyyhk1xESA

Have fun!

Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com

Sabbath
04-29-2009, 08:23 AM
Okay Fred, that's what I was planning on doing. I was hoping that I would be able to do some kind of litter method with the chickens even while using Patti's method with the tractor over the raised beds. I guess we'll see how it goes!

Kevin
04-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Jstar, You could probably plant sucessfully in bed #1 if the hens haven't been on it for 3 months( 5 or 6 months would be better),But I would try it . Bed#2, you will more than likely burn your plants. I personally am using the following rotation schedule ( chickens then rabbits then garden). Rabbit manure ,can be used almost right away, chicken manure can't. You will need at least 3 raised beds for this method though. good luck , Kevin

jstar
04-29-2009, 01:14 PM
We are hoping to add two more beds this year. The first 2 were from found wood....
Thanks for all the advice and links. I am going to try adding a couple bales of pine shavings to each and go ahead and plant..... I really have no other choice money is very limited.

Star