PDA

View Full Version : Heard at the farmer's market

plantoneonme
09-16-2008, 01:40 AM
I was talking with the person I order my beef from (grass fed, free range, organic yum) and she told me to start planting fruit trees NOW. She stated that many states such as Michigan are giving farmers large incentives to replace orchards with vineyards. It seems wine grapes are worth more to those in politics then fruit. She said to expect in 5 years the cost of apples to be $5 per pound or more!

I know I don't have room for trees but I am starting to plant as many small fruits as I will be able to cram onto my little corner of the world. I already have a grape vine, raspberries and a couple blueberries. Looking for some odd ones called nagoon, and lignon. Will be plant strawberries soon.

Kim

Ani
09-16-2008, 10:48 AM
That is scary, especially since we can't eat grapes so its not like we could substitute. I have to choose and find some trees, but if this is the right time of year to plant (I think it is?) I'm planting 2 apple tree's on my family's property this year to get started...

plantoneonme
09-17-2008, 02:22 AM
That is scary, especially since we can't eat grapes so its not like we could substitute. I have to choose and find some trees, but if this is the right time of year to plant (I think it is?) I'm planting 2 apple tree's on my family's property this year to get started...

If possible I prefer to plant in the fall. It is usually cooler and easier to keep the moisture evenly moist.

I wish I had the money right now because I would love to pick up a couple of the columnar apple trees because this is probably the only kind I have room for.

I am also planting as many smaller fruit plants as I can find for variety.

Kim

AbbeyLehman
09-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Wow. I want some of those columnars, too--the StarkSpurs look really good. I need to look up what the space requirements for those are--Patti, do you plant those closer than suggested, as well??

gardengirl72
09-25-2008, 07:57 AM
Well this year, I had a lame fruit harvest this year. I had a couple of nice fruit salads, but not what I was hopping for. But my first mini orchard took a few(five) years to catch on, and I do plant them much closer then what is recomended. I also provide huge ammounts of Rabbit poo in the fall every year to compensate for the lack of soil space for the trees.

But I want to make sure that I am right on this, so we have to wait until next year and see what the trees do next year to be sure.

P

plantoneonme
09-25-2008, 09:28 AM
Since I do not have room for trees I have been looking for alternative sources of fruits. I never really paid attention to the old apple tree growing in my parents yard until this year. It looks like a golden delicous. It put out lots of fruit this year but is really neglected. I am planning on pruning and taking care of that tree next year to see what I can get. I have also been expanding my walking route to see if I find any neighbors with trees that have been forgotten...I figure if I offer to clean up the dropped fruits, they may just let me have them. I found a crabapple tree in the city park and have gotten a large bucket of apples to make some jelly and found a wild grape vine on the fence of an abandoned school. I think foraging at this point may be the way to go...at least it doesn'ts hurt :) Kim

AbbeyLehman
10-11-2008, 05:55 AM
Since I do not have room for trees I have been looking for alternative sources of fruits. I never really paid attention to the old apple tree growing in my parents yard until this year. It looks like a golden delicous. It put out lots of fruit this year but is really neglected. I am planning on pruning and taking care of that tree next year to see what I can get. I have also been expanding my walking route to see if I find any neighbors with trees that have been forgotten...I figure if I offer to clean up the dropped fruits, they may just let me have them. I found a crabapple tree in the city park and have gotten a large bucket of apples to make some jelly and found a wild grape vine on the fence of an abandoned school. I think foraging at this point may be the way to go...at least it doesn'ts hurt :) Kim

It's like you're in my head or something! :) I can spot a fruit tree from the next block over, I swear! We have wild grape vines EVERYWHERE it seems, but very few of them actually have fruit on them. A neighbor has pears that he shares and another neighbor has a plum tree and an apple tree that they do not harvest. There's several crabapple trees by the parking garage of DH's work, but I need to find out if I should get permission before picking those--it's private property and well patrolled. Also found some HUGE mulberry trees by the parking lot at MIL's Dr.'s office. Fruit everywhere if you pay attention!

MoniDew
11-16-2008, 11:43 PM
And to think, I've been cursing my neighbor's mulberry trees for their root encroachment on my gardening spot! They drop their little mulberries in there, and because the soil is so furtile, I get 10 bazillion little mulberry trees every year! Maybe I should see this as a BONANZA instead, huh?

Funny thing is, when I picked that little spot to put my garden, the first year I moved in, I couldn't see any kind of tree on the other side of the fence. I thought I was GOLDEN! So, year after year, I'm composting, and putting manure on it, tilling that soil, making it a great garden spot. And the only thing that actually grew was those D@MN mulberry trees on the other side of the fence! About three years in, I saw a root sneaking through my garden spot, and said, "what's this?!" I stood on my tippy toes to see what was on the other side, and let out a slew of words that would'a made a sailor blush! Needless to say, I moved my garden bed to another spot in the yard! HAH!

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/MoniDew/000_0032.jpg

Ya' know, your post will serve as a good reminder to quit being so selfish, and start opening my eyes to the world of possiblities all around me. Thank you!

gardengirl72
11-23-2008, 12:03 PM
Free fruit is always a gift from heaven(or your neighbor). I found a state park around the corner from my house with original bartlet pears. I am on it next year.

Foraging, even in urban areas, can be quite fruitful(pun intended)!

new500
01-01-2009, 06:39 AM
What different items do you put in your farm stand from your home garden? what do you find in selling both seedlens and veg do the customers buy more of? I live on a very busy street and would like to expose my neighbors to new things. Since last year they asked me about it. and this year I am adding more beds and some raised beds made of rocks in the front for herbs. I will do is slow over the years, but would like to a least this year start something small and expose them to new things plus some basic times.

new500
01-01-2009, 06:43 AM
On fruit trees where is the best place to plant them? What I mean what direction my house sits facing the south. I just planted on in my front yard. I want to keep it nice but yet add more to my collection. I guess picutres are a thousand words. I can send a picture if you like.

plantoneonme
01-01-2009, 10:40 AM
What different items do you put in your farm stand from your home garden? what do you find in selling both seedlens and veg do the customers buy more of? I live on a very busy street and would like to expose my neighbors to new things. Since last year they asked me about it. and this year I am adding more beds and some raised beds made of rocks in the front for herbs. I will do is slow over the years, but would like to a least this year start something small and expose them to new things plus some basic times.

I would think that for a first time stand I would stick mostly with what people know such as tomatoes, cucumbers, beans etc. You could throw in a few different types of veggies such as eggplant, greens or variety beans (yellow, purple). As you get a clientele, you could talk with them and ask what they are interested in for the next year or fall plantings. I watch people at the farmer's market and see that most of them like what is familiar. Beautiful heirloom tomatoes will be passed by for the more common and "prettier looking" plain old red tomatoes...I have seen so many people not even wanting to taste those that are orange, yellow or darker colored.

I am a berry and melon lover myself and find myself drawn to melons that look somewhat familar but with a twist....of course I will try ANY melon or berry at least once. Minnesota midget melons are smaller versions of musk melons that I really like along with the so called icebox watermelons. I don't have the space for a 40 pounder!

Hope you have the best of luck in your venture. Kim

plantoneonme
01-01-2009, 10:41 AM
On fruit trees where is the best place to plant them? What I mean what direction my house sits facing the south. I just planted on in my front yard. I want to keep it nice but yet add more to my collection. I guess picutres are a thousand words. I can send a picture if you like.

Most fruit trees like full sun.